Sunday, November 20, 2022

 

Interview with Jennifer Tempest

Author of The Cardinal War

Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

 My current book in progress is the second book to take place in the Empire of Frythiel. The first being The Cardinal War that was published September 2021. The book I am currently working on has the working title of The Lake Dispute but I have not decided if that will be the final title or not. It is not a direct sequel as majority of the characters are new, but it does take place in the same Empire as I mentioned and there is at least one reoccurring character and references to events in The Cardinal War as this second book takes place a few years later. The Lake Dispute follows a young woman name Reilynn as she goes from a simple day to day life working with her brother for the good of Strongwater, to finding mystery at every turn involving the two Manors of Strongwater as well as her brother Artair and her best friend Mariel.

 

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

For The Cardinal War, I had read a book where the characters had wings and I knew my story had to have the same. Otherwise, I just had ideas spring up as I wrote. For example, I created four manors and suddenly the idea of the cardinal points of the compass was born. I do take inspiration from books I read in terms of setting as well as settings from my boyfriends Dungeon and Dragon campaigns we have done together. I don’t think I could pinpoint what inspired The Lake Dispute, I simply was working on creating consistent world building for the Frythiel Empire and I was strongly drawn to Strongwater. The main characters do have inspirations from people in my life though. As I was creating this world building document I had tons of ideas for other stories I could create and share with the world.

 

Do you write in more than one genre?

 I have written other stories that were general fiction but majority of my works, either planned to be published or not, are in the Fantasy genre.

 

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

Although my story is classified as Fantasy and it certainly warrants it with its winged characters and ability of flight, I would consider it lighter Fantasy which draws in those who are intimidated by epic fantasy novels. I also believe every character has a story to tell, not just the main characters and I plan to create my world with stand alone novels or potentially a duology or two to expand upon the world as well as let every character shine that I believe needs to.

 

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

I love a good mystery/problem solving and I think that shows in both The Cardinal War and will show in my future works as well. Mystery is the main plot point of The Lake Dispute, and while not necessarily the same as a typical murder mystery style book, I think I bring in mystery elements and try to keep the intrigue high.

 

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

On my website, I have monthly blogs where you can learn more about the world I have created as well as information about me. For more random knowledge, I love Escape Rooms (have completed almost 80 rooms) and love playing board games (we have over 200 games at home). I also have a big orange cat named Jerry that is my comfort while writing and reading.

 

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

Recently I have had the joy of reading Fantasy books from two authors; JMD Reid and Connie Reed. After reading the first of both series I was hooked and immediately sought out the rest in the series. For JMD Reid, specifically the Foundation of Courage arc, the world just sucked me in and I fell in love with the main characters as well as the ones who are introduced throughout. The characters are dynamic and constantly learning about themselves and each other. Fantastic Read and I can’t wait to read the rest in the series. As for Connie Reed, her series beginning with In Over Her Head focuses on one main character who has no idea what her past is and is thrust into choosing what side she is on in battle right from the start which shapes the rest of her journey. The characters she meets along her journey have such charm and I found I could not put the books down. I also learnt recently that her covers are painted by herself which just adds a whole new level to them.

 

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

Well I would have to recommend The Cardinal War. Not just because it is currently the only one out but I think it provides a fantastic base into the Empire of Frythiel, especially as the city of Mordale is the largest city in the Empire and it introduces great plot and characters.


Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

I would say there are two main events/circumstances for my writing career. The first being in Grade 3, so when I was approximately 8 years old when my teacher had us write two short stories with pictures and she had them coil bound when completed. We had the opportunity to review each others work and even had help from student teachers from the University. I still have these stories, which are both Fantasy based of course, and they definitely inspired me to start writing.

The second even would be COVID. I had finished writing The Cardinal War about 8 years ago but was afraid to publish until 2021. I had the time to go back and review the story with fresh eyes and knew I had to publish this story. I did the research into publishing, went through the steps of editing, cover creation and then just went for it. I published in September 2021 and while COVID restricted the launch I could have, I was still able to do an outdoor release party and I have enjoyed every minute of the journey.

 

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

I would say, being asked more about my future writing plans in terms of who I plan to write about, what cities, etc. I love world building and want to be able to share that with more people.

 

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

My favorite quote would be “Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?” Marianne Williamson. I love this quote because I think it inspires me to be who I am without judgement or fear of being myself. It is part of what spurred me to publish.



__________________________

Thanks to Jennifer for participating.

I'm still in the editing process of book 5 in the Tomahawks and Dragon Fire series. Look for it in December. I had planned to do a stand alone novel before writing book six, but the research for book 6 has me thinking that I want to write it now rather than 6 months from now.

Between editing stretches, I'm writing a short story set in the Tomahawks and Dragon Fire universe.




2 comments:

  1. Hate to read that your email gets restricted. This has been a bizarre year, but will try to open links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm told by people who purport to know -- and also by my sender.

      Delete