Sunday, August 21, 2022

 

Author Interview with

C.T. Phipps

Author of: Space Academy Dropouts and The Rules of Supervilliany 


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

I am just about to release SPACE ACADEMY DROPOUTS, which is a humorous science fiction novel set in the Spiral. Vance Turbo, not his real name, is a recent drop out ready to take the universe by storm. However, he’s almost immediately dragooned into the service of a black ops division of Space Fleet and forced to save the universe. Too bad it’s with the worst crew in the galaxy.

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

I am a lifelong fan of Star Trek and Star Wars, being part of both fandoms. I couldn't help but imagine what would happen if you combined them (and don't say Babylon Five). The Galactic Community is an idealistic and noble organization that also has its flaws. Vance is every bit committed to that ideal but doesn't feel he can live up to it, hence why he drops out. What follows is basically a (anti)hero's journey to figure out how you must thread the needle of practicality versus ideals.

Do you write in more than one genre?

Oh yes. I have multiple other books in other genres with The Rules of Supervillainy being a parody series about superheroes. It's my most famous work. I'm also the writer of Agent G, which is a combination of James Bond and cyberpunk science fiction. He's a dashing amnesiac super-soldier and spy who works for awful people. I have other works, but these are two that I'm most proud of.

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

I am very good at rapid fire dialogue and humor. As a fan of Clerks and Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, I soon found I absolutely loved their referential sarcastic kind of comedy. I came to appreciate this in the literature I read as well. I adore the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher and indie works by authors John G. Harkness, Rick Gualtieri, and Drew Hayes. For me, I absolutely adore making my readers laugh while putting my characters through hell. Every one of my characters is a wiseass and it’s hilarious seeing them play off one another.


Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

I, too, am a wiseass like many of my characters.

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

I am actually an uplifted panda a trench coat and fedora.

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

I think neo-cyberpunk is an underrated genre and often considered to be dead when it's thriving on the indie market. As such, I recommend the works of Anna Mocikat (Behind Blue Eyes), Brian Parker (Easytown), and S.C. Jensen (Bubbles in Space). All three of them are fantastic authors that deserve a lot more attention for their work.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

I think that all my books have something for everyone. The Rules of Supervillainy is a hilarious romp from start to finish for fans of comic books and movie superheroes. Agent G has something for fans of thrilling spy adventures and action-filled sci-fi. Space Academy Dropouts is a delightful homage to stories that boldly go where no one really should. I don’t regret any of my books and try to make them fun for anyone who picks them up.

Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

I ran into some serious trouble while starting off my career. I didn't know how to navigate the complexities of the business, market, or even hire a decent editor. I got taken advantage of once or twice. Thankfully, David Niall Wilson of Crossroad Press gave me a hand up and helped show me the ropes. I owe him a lot. He taught me a lot about how to get my books polished, out there, and noticed. More authors should be so lucky as to have a mentor like him.

 

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

"Charles, you beautiful sexy beast, where can I buy your books?" :)

Do you have a catchphrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

Stay safe. Because, really, more people should.

_______________________________________

Thanks to CT for participating.

I've got great news on the writing front -- but first a truly stupendous event must be brought to your attention. You are invited to participate:


The give-away is live. Click this link for your opportunity to receive 5 fabulous free autographed books from 6 fabulous authors. These books are to die for -- but don't die, just sign up and share the link from the signup for more chances at success.

The offer is up for only a few days. Enter now and punch your ticket to adventure.

And speaking of adventure. Truths in Flame--Book 5 of the Tomahawks and Dragon Fire series--is more than half complete. The action and adventure, intrigue and tension, colorful characters and new beasties are melding into another terrific tale. At the moment, I'm stumped on a special ability or disability a character is about to discover. I once knew what it was going to be, but have forgotten and can't find that I wrote it down anywhere. If you have any fun ideas, let me know. And get yourself to Mars signed up for the fabulous 5 book give-away.


No comments:

Post a Comment