Sunday, July 10, 2022

 

Author Interview

with JA Duxbury

Author of Heart of Deception and Dark Dimensions


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress. I am currently working on a partial rewrite of a sequel and a paranormal story.

Where did you get the idea for this book or series? I got the idea of the first book from a dream I had.

Do you write in more than one genre? I do. My chosen genre is sci fi but I write from my dreams so it depends on what genre they're in.


Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.
I believe that I can take people on a journey away from the daily grind and monotony to places where they can get involved with the characters and events.

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing? I really don't know. I have thought about that question but I can't pinpoint anything but our experiences do dictate what we know to be possible and impossible so I suppose my general knowledge comes to the fore.

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you? My characters rarely swear and I only touch lightly on romance. So, if you're looking for hot steamy sex scenes, you need to try someone else's writing.

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why? I would recommend Kelly Blanchard Dale and her husband Matthew. They combine a magic environment with a scientific environment in a seamless way.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why? Oh, now that's a hard one. I like all of my books equally. If you're into military stuff, though, I'd recommend Dark Dimensions. It's about a vampire/human clan who are lost travelling dimensions and some of the dimensions they reach have battles going that they get drawn into.



Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most? It was a sad event. My niece died of cancer and I took the time to re-evaluate my life, giving myself a target of 5 years after which I would concentrate on writing.

What question do you wish you would get asked more often? When is your next book coming out?

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it? Timing is everything. Because if something happened a second or so earlier or later, the outcomes could have been completely different.

________________________________

Thanks to JA for participating.

I was at a wedding this week and met several old friends. Some friends, who also used to be neighbors, told me that they had read my noir detective novel Smoke, and lavished me with praise for the novel. What can I say? It's my favorite book too. Or, maybe they felt compelled to say something nice and my personal appearance didn't do them any favors in that regard, so they chose the next available subject. I told them that I could talk all night about my books, but that I would refrain and simply accept their praise and complimented them on their excellent taste. We talked about old times for a while. It's great to see old friends and reminisce about the times we shared and how things used to be, as well as catch up on what how we've all been doing since. 

Of course, there were a couple guys I hadn't seen since high school. They had the audacity to pretend that they didn't recognize me or have a clear recollection of who I was. Neither was from my class; one was older and one was younger. They put on a really good act--I almost believed them--but I was the most memorable guy I knew in high school, so they were obviously pulling my leg.

AND if you haven't picked up a FREE COPY of my prequel to the Tomahawks and Dragon Fire, In Death Bedrenched, get it here by clicking this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment