Tuesday, May 10, 2022

 

Interview with Kimberly Hennessey 

Author of She Runs with Wolves 


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

I’m working on several things, namely three screenplays, some copywriting, and finally a sequel to my novel She Runs With Wolves, which will most likely be the conclusion of the two part Saga, as well as a pet project close to my heart, which I’m writing under a pen name. It’s a historical fiction set in the 1800’s between Ireland and Canada.

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

Several things sparked this book, but I would have to say the main driving force has always been Albert Einstein’s quote: “I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.”

This quote inspired me to build a world that was as though we were living during the paleolithic age, but with remnants of a technologically advanced society. I was very much inspired by “Mad Max”, and “Quest for Fire.” The main difference was that instead of a desert scene I would be inspired by my harsh Canadian Winters.

 

Do you write in more than one genre?

Yes, I’ve always loved dystopia, scifi, and historical fiction is almost like the flip side of that same coin. It’s a time and place I can only dream of, and I’m just bouncing back and forth on that same timeline. That’s if you believe time is linear ;)_

 

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.I

 started my writing career as a screenwriter. I’m always looking for that angle, that element that gives my story a twist. Up until now, I often have surprise endings, which I’m slowly teaching myself that that isn’t always necessary for a story to be good. So far, however I’ve been that gal.

 

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

Yes, I’m a rather direct, no fluff writer. My writing is lean, and concise and plot driven, again something that harkens back to scripts, but I would argue that I’m also a little bit like that in real life. I’m not the most diplomatic person. I’m rather blunt and I think people that appreciate that sort of writing, like reading my stories.

 

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

I wish I wasn’t always that dark and gloomy writer, but it is what it is. I’m attracted to drama, chaos, and total mayhem. I love death and destruction. Perhaps it’s my background in psychology, but I find my characters often must go down the rabbit hole. A dark descent into madness.

 

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

I love the classics, and they’re not underrated but one book that is often overlooked in favor of Robinson Crusoe is Moll Flanders by Daniel Dafoe. It’s an incredible read, and so vivid, especially in this day and age of the #metoo movement.

Another great author, that I read whenever she puts a book out is Carol Goodman. Her murder mysteries are delicious.

 

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

I only have the one. I recommend it to people who love to be transported, and discover another world with lots of twists and turns. If you like AI, tribal history, and unexpected endings, then you might enjoy my book.


Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

After completing my MA in screenwriting and producing I had an amazing, supportive team that encouraged my writing and my ideas. I think having those people believe in my really drove my ambition towards writing a full length novel.

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

I wish people that strive to become authors knew how much work it was to get here. It took me fifteen years to learn the craft of writing, and three years to write this book. To get here, there is a lot of sacrifice and determination. Granted I took a lot of left turns, but I got here eventually. You just have to put in the work and not give up.

Do you have a catchphrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

I call myself the Slow Writer because I’m slow to put out work. Although it might appear obnoxious to use my own catch phrase, I do like to use it, because in this day and age everything is so fast and it’s hard to keep up. I get down on myself for not being able to compete and write fast, and I can’t imagine I’m the only one feeling the pressure.

I like to use it to remind myself and others that there is a movement out there telling us it’s okay to take your time and enjoy life, enjoy the craft, and enjoy the process.

_________________

Thanks to Kimberly for participating.

In my own writing, the draft of In Death Bedrenched, the prequel to my Tomahawks and Dragon Fire series, is complete. It will go out to advance readers after I've had a chance to go over it once more. If you would like to be an advance reader, read on:

 I'm in search of an elite team of fearless fighters who can boldly advance to the forefront of the conflict and engage in the battle-before-the-battle. I'm looking for recruits for my Skirmishers who would like to read and provide feedback on complete novels or parts thereof before the works are published--to read where no man has read before (except me of course).

To see about getting on the team, sign-up for my newsletter here and watch for your invitation to enlist in the Skirmishers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment