Saturday, October 9, 2021

 

If you haven't checked out my kindle vella adventure, Saving Tirese, you should click the link. The first three episodes are free to read. If you like a good D&D adventure and mystery, you'll enjoy this story. Here's the blurb and the link all in one:

Eskan never intended to be a hero. He never intended to take to the wilderness in search of some girl he had never met. When he falls in with a servant of the Weeping God, an annoying pit fighter, and a sorceress with shapely legs to make some quick money, he soon wishes he had stayed in town to pick pockets. Can Eskan and his comrades survive when they clash with the advance forces of a forgotten empire? What cause can force them to face the wrath of the wizard who also seeks the girl?


Author interview with

Anne Miles

Author of Sorrowfish



Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

Hi, I am writing the first sequel to my debut fantasy book Sorrowfish. Sequels are in a way harder then first books I think. You’re basically writing a MIDDLE of the story, act 2 if you will –but as its own book. So to make it interesting and fun and wondrous and not bore your readers you must continue to inject surprises.

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

I was brainstorming while in the midst of a horrible divorce in 1998 and this is what I came up with. It took me a long time to work up the courage to actually write the story.

Do you write in more than one genre?

No, I only write fantasy, though I could possibly turn part of this story out as a thriller and get away with it.

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

It’s chick-lit-wrapped epic fantasy with a splash of bourbon. Booknest said it was “for those who were looking for more than an axe to the face.”

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

I am a designer. I went to art school and I think it shows through in my writing. I’m extremely visual. 

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

I’ve been reading fantasy since I was very small. I started to read at age 2 and read Shakespeare at age 6 because he wrote about fairies. I love conspiracy theories of all flavors and used several of them in the planning of this series. (the 444 vs 432 hz one, specifically.) I despise posers. I had a shih tzu named Poco who inspired the character of Jax. He died toward the end of my editing process and I was heartbroken.

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

D. Scott Johnson because his book Gemini Gambit is a cross between Ready Player One and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. He is amazing.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

Sorrowfish (it’s my only book)

 


Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

My editor Cheryl was my web site client. She was my client first, then I started writing. I would not have written or published without her. She was sent to me by God.

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

What does Sorrowfish mean?
Sara isn’t selfish, she is sorrowfish. She acts from pain when she is hurtful to others, most of the time. That doesn’t mean it is okay to hurt others, but it does help her to understand and forgive herself and grow.

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

“I drank what?” - Socrates

Because it is funny. It’s also a movie quote from Real Genius, which I think makes it golden. 

__________________

Thanks to Anne for participating.

In my own writing, I've passed the 50K word mark on the dystopian thriller -- which seems to be set in the time period encompassed by next week if things continue to accelerate like they have been. I talk a little more about that, and address the issue of whether Conan had ever read Leviticus in my newsletter, which you can sign up for here.



No comments:

Post a Comment