Sunday, May 10, 2020


Strap down the grey matter and hold on to your cerebellum (not to be confused with antebellum or parabellum) Clamorous Harbingers will give your mind a ride! (Yes. I was listening to Boston when that bit of self promotional inspiration came to me).

Not yet, but soon. My proclamation is premature as I've not yet completed the book. However, "Havoc!" has been cried, and the dogs of war let slip. The battle at the cache to shape the future of empires and liberty's struggle has commenced.

Perhaps I should go into television repair. I performed a life-extending surgery on our television. The IR sensor which reads the remote had gone bad. It had started as a frequent but not complete failure to respond to the input from the remote control. In a matter of days, the failure to hearken waxed into willful rebellion such that all commands had to be given by physical administration. Wife picked up a new remote, but the TV's fault, like that of Brutus, lay not with the stars or the remote, but within itself. I did some searching, narrowed down the problem, and postponed action when I couldn't find the correct part in stock. A few days later, I, like Ayn Rand's Atlas, shrugged, escaping the burden of indecision and located the replacement part online. I waited until Saturday to perform the operation.

Here is the part I removed (It's held in place by two screws and attaches to a little plug by the white connection at one end.):



The main difficulty was in opening the patient to get at the components within. I prepped the TV for surgery by removing all the cords which connected it to power and auxiliary units, and moved it to the operating table. I should have taken pictures of the operation, but I didn't. Something like 300, or twenty-some screws held on the back cover - plus another eight which attached the stand. The operation--performed without anesthetic, I might add. I was awake the entire time--was a complete success. The patient has fully recovered and now hearkens to our commands.

***

Here's something short of a book review:



I read this. I thought about dropping out several times, but kept at it. I enjoyed Flint's 1632, but this one not so much. The story is told by Ignace, the strangler's manager. Ignace is clever and amusing. As a result, the humor in the story is more clever than entertaining. Rife with parody and satire the story references Dante's Inferno and other works (none of which spring to my recollection at the moment). The action has a cartoon-like quality, and provided me with the same amount of satisfaction. Great writing by Flint, but not quite a palate-pleaser for me. It's still free at the big river store--at that price, you can get it and judge for yourself.

***

This is the first story (to the best of my knowledge) that I have read by Manly Wade Wellman--who deserves to be read if only for the sake of his memorable name.


The Devil's Asteroid is a short story. It takes place on an asteroid where the protagonist is stranded by the Martians. I was able to predict most of the story's developments before they happened, but the narrative allowed me to feel smart and self-congratulatory in doing so, rather than that the writing was predictably unimaginative. It's also free--a quick, pleasant read.

***
I also read this short work:


The other editions have more interesting covers--but this version was free, and still is. One of the other editions claimed to be unexpurgated, so this one may be sanitized. It's a middle of the road sword and planet story by the Queen of Space Opera, and who was also known for her work on the movies The Big Sleep (1946), Rio Bravo (1959), Eldorado, and others. She also worked on an early draft of The Empire Strikes Back (1980), but she died before the movie went into production.

I see that her first novel was a mystery novel in the style of Raymond Chandler. So we have something in common (see my novel Smoke). Black Amazon of Mars ended Brackett's period of high adventure writing (according to Wikipedia).

As for the Empire Strikes Back: Her early draft was not used, but many of its story elements are in the final movie. Here is a PDF of that script. The opening looks the same as the actual movie, except Luke and Han ride white snow lizards (which I first misread as snow leopards--which would be super cool) instead of Tauntauns. Most importantly, Luke's father is a distinct character from Darth Vader. If you ask me (which you haven't, but I won't let that stop me), as I've probably mentioned before, that single decision (Vader as Luke's father) laid the foundation for the complete ruination of the franchise (See the prequels, and the final desecration--they all trace back to that ill-conceived brain vapor). Of course, I should expound on this sometime, but not yet. Also, in Brackett's script, Lando was one of the last surviving clone storm troopers. You can get more details on that script here.

So much for a book review become Bella Siderea trivia.

No comments:

Post a Comment