Saturday, May 2, 2020


Author Interview
Kelly Blanchard
Author of The Chronicles of Lorrek


 Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.
My current work in progress is a series that my husband and I are co-writing. It takes place about a year after the events of the last book of the Chronicles of Lorrek. I am currently in the process of relaunching the Chronicles of Lorrek series though. It's going to be a lot of fun!

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?
I wish I knew! I don't know what exactly gave me the idea for the universe of Lorrek, but I do know where I got the inspiration for Lorrek. It was based off Loki from the Thor movies. I loved Tom Hiddleston's Loki, and I asked myself, “What if he's actually a good guy but just really, terribly misunderstood?” That took on a life of its own and created my main character. Of course, I don't have any norse mythology in my books, but the idea is still there.

Do you write in more than one genre?
I write fantasy and sci-fi, and sometimes I branch into other genres. I've touched upon steampunk and romance (though I've never made my romance the MAIN plot of the books). My story universe is so large that I can have it in whatever genre works best for the book.

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.
I have been told that my books are very visual. My readers have told me that they can see the faces of the characters and the environment whereas with other books they've read, they can't really see things that clearly. They describe it as cinemagraphic. They have told me that the way my books handle the characters, their relationships and interactions are very real and relatable which is very important for the stories.


Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?
That's a good question. I don't consciously put stuff like that into my writing, but I do think that some of my personal habits and personality might bleed through. For instance, Lorrek, he's the kind of person who doesn't know when to stop and take a break. He sees something that needs to be done, and he sets out to complete it, regardless of how tired he may be or whether or not he has eaten. He will work until it's done. That is very similar to me!

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?
What can I say? I'm just a real person who loves to write and share with my readers the imaginary world I have in my head. I also love to interact with my fans. It's a lot of fun when they message me, telling me that I've killed a character that they loved and ranting to me about it. It's quite fun. I am also love interacting with fellow writers, encouraging them, and offering my resources to them. It's a community, not a competition. If I can help, I want to.

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why? Oh,there are so many! J.E. Mueller is the first one that comes to mind. For one, she's a great person in general, but she's also very talented as a writer, great with descriptions and pulling a story together. Definitely recommend her books!


Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?
Well, do you like dragons? Book 5 'You Left Me No Choice'. That's when dragons come in. But otherwise...I mean, Book 9 'This Ends Now' is epic, but it only carries weight when you have read all the other books, so...I'd have to go with Book 1 'Someday I'll Be Redeemed' and Book 2 'I Still Have a Soul' because they are very closely linked together (were originally one book that I had to split into two!). They begin the series, and I think it's a good starting point.



Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?
Well, meeting Matthew Dale, the man who would become my husband, was a big deal. It was because of him that I realized that the Chronicles of Lorrek wasn't just two books but MANY MORE books! So I owe a lot to him because he is my brainstorming partner and now co-writer. Then meeting Michael Evan, my PR agent, was huge for my career. With his help, I've been able to take my career to the next level.

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?
See, I know there is a question, but I can't for the life of me think of it at the moment. Ah well!

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?
I'm not sure if I have a catch-phrase or quote. I mean, my husband's and my motto is 'We'll figure it out,” but that applies mostly to real life though it can work in books too!

Thanks so much for the interview I greatly enjoyed it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment