Sunday, November 10, 2019

Interview with Christina Ochs


Author of
The Desolate Empire Series
War of the Four Gods Series


 Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.
Right now, I’m in final edits on Sword of Destiny, the second book of a trilogy based on the English Civil War.


Where did you get the idea for this book or series?
This series emerged as a sequel to The Desolate Empire, a seven-book series based on the Thirty Years War. Since the English Civil War happened concurrently and involved some of the same people, it seemed like a natural direction to take.


Do you write in more than one genre?
Not yet, though at some point I might make the switch to straight up historical fiction.


Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.
I don’t know how unique it is, but in response to so much fantasy taking the grimdark direction in recent years, I wanted to show how love, family and friendship can prevail in even the most terrible circumstances. I try to write exciting, engaging stories with an optimistic, rather than bleak and misanthropic outlook.

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?
I’m generally a positive person who is sometimes optimistic to a stupid degree. I always try to see the best in people and situations, and I think that appears in many of my characters who are decent people trying to make the best of terrible circumstances. Even the villains have good reason, in their own minds at least, for their terrible behavior.

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?
My recent books have been slow to appear, and it’s because I’ve gone to work full time in university administration. I found that writing full time was isolating and creatively draining. Now I have less time to write, but more social interaction and spending my days on a beautiful university campus has been inspiring and energizing. I also have access to an enormous academic library, which has been useful for research.

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?
I love Rosemary Kirstein’s Steerswoman series. It’s an older, unfinished science fantasy series that’s absolutely unique and captivating. Her worldbuilding is amazing and I’m frankly jealous of her facility in weaving scientific method into her stories.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?
It’s a hard choice, but I really love Valley of the Shadow, book 2 in the Desolate Empire series. I really got into the swing of the story, and it expanded to an enormous scope. I think I have characters in seven imaginary countries at one point or another. There’s also a very tragic part that I feel particularly proud of. It was hard to write, but so many people have told me they were touched by it. And I love the ending. It was great fun to write and felt really satisfying, even though the story is far from over.

Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?
Just over ten years ago, I met my husband and shortly after that, went on the road with him in a semi truck. For the next 8 years we traveled all of the lower 48 states. Since I was too chicken to drive, he encouraged me to use the time I had to write and strapped down a laptop on the passenger side dashboard. With a wireless keyboard, I could type during long stretches of crossing Nebraska, Texas, and the like. That situation made it possible for me to really get engrossed in the story and take all the time I needed to get it down.

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?
Where can I buy your books?


Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?
“All knowledge is worth having.” – it’s a line from Jacqueline Carey’s Kushiel’s Dart. I like to tell myself that whenever my brain feels weary from absorbing new information. And I also use it to comfort myself when I can’t use ALL the research I did in my books. Even if no one ever sees all the cool things I found, it was still good for me to find them.


What drew you to writing Flintlock Fantasy, rather than straight historical fiction? Where and how do you find readers for Flintlock Fantasy?

I’d originally planned on writing historical fiction, but found the Thirty Years War very difficult to fictionalize. Creating a fantasy version made it much easier to keep the story interesting. It was also fun to play with an alternate culture and religion that gave women far more prominent roles.

Finding readers can be a challenge! I’ve done some targeted advertising on Amazon and Facebook, looking for readers who enjoy Django Wexler, Brian McClellan, Brent Weeks and the like. I’ve also done some cross-promotion with Michael Bolan, a fellow indie author whose Devil’s Bible fantasy series is also set in the Thirty Years War. (You should interview him too! 


How many of your books are currently available?
I have eight books out right now, with a ninth coming in the next few months.

What genres do you enjoy reading? How has that changed over the years, if at all?
Historical fiction has always been my first love. As a kid I devoured Tolstoy, Taylor Caldwell and Mary Renault. As an adult, I still read a lot of historical fiction but also tend to devote myself to genres in phases, spending months reading only science fiction, then doing the same with mysteries, then fantasy, and so on. Lately I’ve been on a thriller binge,  reading lots of Gillian Flynn and Liane Moriarty.



Would you consider using your experiences trucking across the lower 48 as the basis for a novel?
If I run out of other things to write, I might consider writing a memoir, but I’ve never been able to think of a way to fictionalize that experience!

Is tragedy an important part of your story telling, and if so, why?
Oh, yes, I love tragedy! It’s such a great catalyst for character change. I hate inflicting pain on my favorite characters, but at the same time, seeing them come out better and stronger after a tragedy is so rewarding.

***

As far as my own writing goes, I did find a few hours here and there during this hectic week to squeeze out a few words of Book 3 of the Tomahawk and Dragon Fire series. The Prologue and Chapter One are done. Chapter Two is about half complete, and I've even started on Chapter Three.  The performance of Harvey at the local theater in which I played Dr. Sanderson came to an end last night so my available writing time has increased. As I stood looking onto the stage through the concealing screen, waiting for my entrance cue during the play, some ideas coalesced regarding Alex and Lucette and the situation in which they found themselves at the end of Power to Hurt, Book Two in the series. Inspiration strikes at unusual times and places; sometimes it must be wrung out in tiny droplets as from a barely damp rag; at other times it intrudes unexpectedly like that earwig which my tent mate inadvertently tossed onto my face. Fortunately, inspiration's arrival is generally more welcome.

I had planned to post a review of a book that I love. I also had some thoughts to share about the passing of a respected figure in my life, as well as the inexorable trickling away of the life of a near and dear relative. Not wanting to diminish either the importance of the interview with Christina Ochs, or the solemn passing, or the creeping death, I'll postpone those thoughts and the book review for another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment