Thursday, June 15, 2017

Reflections on fine dining

Within the Palace of Versailles is the Hall of Mirrors (pictured below). It is beautiful--mirrors, windows, chandeliers, and reflections of all. When I saw it for myself, the tourists were thicker than maggots in an eviscerated cow's carcass --I remember the first time I saw that as  kid, the image has stuck with me. I think Versailles will stick with me as well. 

I don't mean the palace; although, that is a part of the experience. My experience at Versailles in May was even more stunningly glorious than the maggoty carcass had been shocking to my young self. I'm not sure if that odd juxtaposition adequately conveys the indelible impression made in both cases; but it will have to do.

The entire trip was magnificent, but if I had been forced to return home after the time at Versailles, it still would have been worth it. I will long reflect with exquisite joy on the experience.

Often, adventures that we will later remember fondly begin contrary to our aspirations. So began this experience. I had booked our hotel right next to the Parly 2, one of the largest shopping centers in Europe. The founders were inspired by the American way of life to create this Eldorado west of Paris, according to the website. I knew the mall contained some eating places, and also a huge store, Monoprix, that sold just about everything, including groceries. Everything we could possibly need would be right next door! I was quite brilliant. My wife was going to be so impressed with my foresight. 

It was after nine in the evening when we arrived at the hotel. We decided it was too late to try to go back to visit the Eiffel Tower that night. We needed to eat. We went next door to the mall to find a reasonably priced restaurant at which to enjoy our first meal in France. In the words of Neil Diamond, made famous by The Monkees, and later repeated by Smash Mouth, "Disappointment haunted all my dreams."

All of the restaurants were closed...except for one. I speak of that establishment known around the world for the quality of its cuisine and unforgettable atmosphere...McDonalds. 

This wasn't the dining experience that we had had in mind. In fact, it was absolutely the last place that I wanted to make part of the experience in France. I mean it was beyond the last; it wasn't even on the list. I did not want to eat at McDonalds. We wandered about the nearly empty mall in search of an alternative. Finally, reluctantly, like Napoleon at Fontainebleau in 1814, we abdicated our hopes, consigning ourselves into the hands of our culinary foes. 

It was our first experience with the automated kiosk for ordering at McDonalds. We gave it a try before deciding to order at the counter. While we waited in line, a guy with a glorified Ipad came out and took our order. I thought that was a great idea. Our order would be ready by the time we got to the counter. The only real difficulty we had was with the girl who filled the order; she couldn't seem to get it through her head that we wanted it "to go" or "a emporter."

We took the meal back to the hotel to eat. The food wasn't bad; it just wasn't the experience for which we had hoped--that's probably an analogy for life. My plans for the first night had been ruined: no time for the Eiffel Tower, and my wife's first taste of France came served on a sesame seed bun. Even now, knowing the great stuff that came after, I'm still disappointed by that first night, disappointed by my failure to deliver the anticipated awesome experience that would have impressed my wife--she would probably say that's also an analogy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment