Wednesday, April 12, 2017

In a Lonely Place



The above photo from IMDB of Humprey Bogart and Gloria Grahame was part of the publicity for the movie In a Lonely Place, directed by Nicholas Ray, 1950. Bogart and Grahame were film noir royalty. Grahame usually played a moll who took more hits than Sylvester Stallone's Rocky. Bogey, or course, delivered a lot of hits. In one scene in this movie, Bogart's disturbed character, Dixon Steele, beats up a young man and nearly brains him with a rock. Grahame plays Laurel, the girl who can't decide whether her lover is a murderer.

I haven't had the pleasure of seeing this entire film. I have seen several parts of it, and want to see all of it. Bogey's character is a writer; he is asked what position he works from. He replies that it's usually from the sitting position. The most memorable lines from the film are spoken, and written by Bogart's character: "I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived for a few weeks while she loved me."

In my own noir novel, I find that the conversation flows easier than the exposition. The characters take on their own personalities; they carry the story. Their desires and dilemmas draw forth the tale. Each character forms an inherent part of the vehicle that propels them to the final destination...which may be terminal for some of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment