Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The Duellists


A scene from one of my favorite movies, and in my opinion, Ridley Scott's best work. The Napoleonic wars provide the setting for this enigmatic story of a series of encounters between two officers of the hussars. It is based on Joseph Conrad's book The Duel, A Military Tale. My copy of the book was published in 1927; the copyright date is 1908. It is also my favorite of Conrad's works..but I've only read three or four of his books. 

I wrote a short story or two set in the Napoleonic era (after reading Arthur Conan Doyle's The Glorious Hussar), but they have all been lost...and weren't very good. The novel I had started years ago, set in the 1796 Italian Campaign, may be forever imprisoned on a defunct computer; I'm probably the only one who would have been interested in reading it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment