Sunday, November 1, 2020

 Author Interview

with Alex Zarate

Author of The Connections Trilogy 


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

Reflections in Darkness.  It is book 2 of the Connections Trilogy.  I introduce new characters who share in the same abilities of my main character.  They have come looking for help.  One has turned to darkness.

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

Bad days.  We all have them.  My main character has had several but has never gone over to the other side.  He has faced lots of challenges before but I wanted to see what would happen if he faced a true mirror image of himself.  The story emerged from there.

Do you write in more than one genre?

Yes.  I write in both Science Fiction and Urban Fantasy.  I will be releasing the first of a SciFi series in the next few months.  I also have a book in the works that will combine both genres.

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

My writing walks the line between YA and Adult Fantasy.  There are no overt sexual scenes or swearing but there are plenty of dark moments, nightmarish scenes and evil characters to confront.  My stories bring together real situations and supernatural/superhuman elements.  Some scenes resemble comic book adventures while others feel like a page out of horror novels.  All this, in a story with a young teen, unique friends, and a psychic, teleporting cat.


Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

Lots.  Bullying was a staple of my youth and it is in every book to date.  I’ve also dealt with my own share of trauma and tragedies that are fuel to the flames of each story.  I get to change the outcome of many events and vanquish those real-life bullies in the process.  Such are the perks of being a writer.

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

I love storytelling and have many other books underway.  I am also a photographer and artist.  Look me up on Instagram.  End of day words coupled with a visual capture.  Gotta love creative life!

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

Theresa Jacobs and Jim Keen are two authors I connected with earlier this year.  They, like myself, continue to work at their craft.  It is always a good feeling to know we are not alone in our journey.

 

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

Linked is the first of my Urban Fantasy series.  It started the ball rolling for me.  I have always loved how it took a young character, introduced a relentless killer and maintained a sense of adventure despite constant struggles and looming danger.

 


Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

I would have to say the year of 2020.  Working a regular job that drains you from morning to night has always taken much of my productivity.  Being forced to work from home has suddenly opened the door to personal productivity.  I am now looking for ways to share my books, work with editors and have begun my own podcast.  I look forward to the coming years.  Perhaps the day when I can live off my creations approaches.  (fingers crossed!)

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

Why do I put a plus sign on my social media posts?  The answer has to do with a simple philosophy.  I try to add to my life, my knowledge and my abilities as often as possible.  Being positive is good but when you add to your day, your life and your goals, even the darkest days are manageable.

 


Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

I often use “Onwards” with a plus symbol in my posts.  We are all familiar with the phrase Onwards and Upwards.  I find taking that first step is the hardest.  Too many people are afraid to follow their passions or dreams.  That first step will always make the difference.  Momentum helps to carry us forward and as long as we add to our efforts, every day is a victory in itself.


Here are links to Alex's sites:

http://www.alexgzarate.com/

https://sites.google.com/view/zaratecreations/home

https://www.facebook.com/aIexgzarate

https://www.youtube.com/user/alexgzarate

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCANS7K_Ra8MJm_zDlIP1tqA


Thanks to Alex for participating in the interview.

***         ***       ***

As for my own writing this week, Iago's thread continues (as do the others, but this week has been the Iago thread). We've finally got to learn more about Iago's past and how he and Atu got together. However, I will soon have to revert to resuming the story of Alex's side quest which completely replaced the originally planned thread--because one should always err on the side of awesome.

In other activities, the radio show I participated in can be heard here. I voiced a few minor parts in the first half, and the bad guy in the second half -- Enjoy it if you dare:


I also finished reading Tim Powers' novel The Drawing of the Dark. I may do a review if I find time that doesn't cut into my own work in progress.

And I forgot to post my review of Dave Butler's The Wilding Probate. It's a great book - a fun read. I've got more to say about it. I'll put it in the review.

On Friday night I saw a great high school football game. We were the visiting team and our team played the team that had beaten us at the beginning of the season 18-15. The score on Saturday 0-42; our boys outplayed their opponents rather convincingly.


No comments:

Post a Comment