Saturday, October 24, 2020

 Author Interview with

PD Alleva

Author of: The Rose, and other stories

 


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

 I’ve got a few books in the pipeline. My current writing in progress is titled Jigglyspot and the Zero Intellect: A Truly Offensive Grindhouse Novel. Carnivals, Cannibals, and Clowns. Oh My! Not sure if I can use the term Grindhouse though, I’ll need to check into any trademark or copyright on that word prior to publication.

 Next up is Golem, a horror thriller, currently in the content editing phase of the publishing journey. One of my favorite silent horror films is The Golem, and for those who don’t know a golem is based on Jewish folklore and is a spirit that incarnates inside of a statue, usually clay, although I used marble in the novel. The story setting is late 1940’s to early 1950’s New York City and follows the young and naive John Ashton after he receives a promotion to be a detective in the departments missing persons unit. His first assignment is a cold case (not that cold really, just a few years) that involves the new district attorneys missing daughter. Unfortunately for John his only lead is Alena Francon, a high society New York socialite, artist, and sculptor who has been a resident at Bellevue’s Psychiatric facility for the last six months. Alena filed a report indicating that she knows the whereabouts of the DA’s daughter and when Ashton arrives to question her about the claim, she tells him the story of Golem, a demonic presence from the far reaches of the universe, a hellish place of damnation called Xibalba. Alena admits to incarnating Golem into a statue she sculpted from marble in late 1947, and he’s causing havoc among the social elite while infiltrating every aspect of New York’s infrastructure. He also uses orphans to help take control, sending them out to homes as the Black Eyed Kids in an effort to indoctrinate and possess those who hold power in the city.

Both Jigglyspot and Golem are part of my horror and dark fiction series of stand alone novels, Beyond the Chamber Door. Books one and two are already published, Twisted Tales of Deceit and Presenting the Marriage of Kelli Anne & Gerri Denemer respectively.

But of course we are here to discuss my new dystopian science fiction novel, and the first book in a planned series, The Rose Vol. 1.

The Rose is a dystopian science fiction thriller inspired by an obsession with conspiracy theories, ancient aliens, and alien lore. The book features a sophisticated race of alien vampires who live in middle earth and have conspired with elite human beings and grey aliens to turn the human population into easily controlled zombies in an effort to achieve planetary and interstellar domination. The story begins directly after the end of World War 3 in an underground medical complex where human beings are subjected to genetic experimentation. The plot revolves around an unsuspecting WW3 safety camp survivor, Sandy Cox, who has been thrown in the middle of a mysterious human rebellion against the aliens and elite humans. The book features concepts found in alien lore and ancient aliens, including the Akashic Record and Robert Morningstar papers, to name a few and can be described as The Matrix with Ancient Aliens or Star Wars in The Hunger Games. I developed a martial arts practice I refer to as The Blades for one on one fighting scenes along with multiple surprise aliens and genetically mutated humans. The book is an action adventure thriller from start to finish.

 


Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

Multiple sources. The Rose Vol. 1 is an accumulation of three novel ideas I had running through my head over the last decade. One of those ideas was a straight sci-fi space opera, this is where the idea for The Blades came from that are featured in The Rose. The Blades are an ancient alien martial arts weapon likened to Tonfas in karate, except instead of being made from wood The Blades are made from steel, alien steel to be exact. They’re like having a sword attached to your arm.

The second novel was a book tilted Celestial Silence. The story chronicles the exploits of the main character who falls asleep in heaven and wakes up in hell and has to manifest himself in different lives throughout history in order to stop the end of the world from happening. Celestial Silence included alien lore as a backstory for the back and forth of the main character. I’m a fan of the show Ancient Aliens and indulge in alien lore and theories of other worldly beings, even came up with a few of my own which were included in this novel. I brought these theories into The Rose, which is the first in a seven book interconnected series. So, you’ll see bits and parts from Celestial Silence across the seven books.

The third story was about an MMA fighter turned doomsday prepper after losing his family to a terrorist attack. The story was set to chronicle his exploits and decent into madness as the world around him spirals into peril and upheaval. Main character’s name is Robyn Winter, a character that is included in The Rose and someone we will see as the series progresses ultimately leading to his own series, Winter Vol. 1 and 2.

With all that being said, we will see the story play out over three differently titled series: The Rose Vol 1 and 2, The Indigo Trials Trilogy, and Winter Vol. 1 and 2.

Do you write in more than one genre?

Yes, primarily horror and Sci-Fi, although there’s always subgenres too. Dystopian, thriller, action/adventure, and mystery. I call it alternative fiction, crossing genres like the grunge kid that I am. 

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

I’ve got an uncanny knack and ability to utilize multiple points of view throughout the story without driving the reader nuts and losing the overall flow of the story. I enjoy getting into my characters heads, seeing what’s going on and what’s stirring in that brain of theirs. Plus it’s great to push the limits in the plot and drive the story into new, awesome, and unexpected ways.  

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

Yes, I have a unique ability to understand human behavior and how those behaviors are manifested through our belief systems. I’ve been a practicing hypnotist and behavioral analyst for the past 15 years. This training has transferred into my writing in numerous ways, most specifically with developing rich and in depth characters, especially my villains.

I’m also a quote type of guy (see question 11) and I believe in paying homage to the movies and books that have helped shape my life. So, you’ll find references to movies and books throughout my novels. See if you can catch the phrases in The Rose. I’ll give some hints; think Star Wars, Terminator, The Dark Knight, and The Monster Squad.

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

I enjoy intelligent, though provoking reads, and books that push the boundaries and limits of the human psyche, quantum physics, and the universe. There is no such thing as an overactive imagination. Just because a book is scifi or fantasy doesn’t mean we authors have to limit the story by not going in depth with characters, story, mythology, and plot. We can take old tropes and put a spin on them, create new myths for readers to enjoy, all with an intelligent spin. And I like to see old myths and tropes evolve. Give them an extra spin, add layers of depth to it, think outside the box, and put some reason and understanding behind them.

I also have interests in quantum physics, ancient alien theories (or alien lore whatever gets your goat), mindfulness, alchemy, and science of mind, and enjoy tossing in tid bits of these interests into my novels.

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

Jack Finney’s stellar time travel novel, Time and Again. It’s a great, intelligent, well thought out, and well-researched novel with so many layers its mind-boggling. I find it interesting that so many people don’t know about this novel.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

Well, it kind of depends on the genre readers are most interested in. I’ve got a few books that include multiple genres. Psychological thriller (Indifference, my first published book), a metaphysical family saga (A Billion Tiny Moments in Time…), a non-fiction philosophical self help book (Let Your Soul Evolve), a dark fiction collection of two short stories and a novella (Twisted Tales of Deceit: Beyond the Chamber Door series Book One), and a dark fantasy, psychological thriller (Presenting the Marriage of Kelli Anne & Gerri Denemer: Beyond the Chamber Door Book Two), so whatever gets your fancy I’ve got a book for ya. I consider my first published books my first borns. Labors of literary love, is how I refer to them. They’re dark, gritty, and surreal.

But I do highly recommend starting with my new release, The Rose Vol. 1. Why? Well, seems we need some escapist type of literature in today’s society. A book that grips the brain, mind, and imagination, allowing that third dimensional world we live in to melt away as the reader is transported into a world with depths, lore, twists and turns, and down right just damn fun, to pull on those creative strings and usher in a complete satisfactory reader experience.

Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

I’ve been writing all my life, since I was knee high to a grasshopper. When I was twenty-four I had my first child (he’s about to turn 21, can you believe that?) and needed to put the writing dream to the side for a while in order to raise a family. I chose psychology at that time, a subject that I’d always found intriguing. What a great path too, I’ve had such a great career, writing behavioral modification programs, opening and owning treatment centers and private practices. A few years ago I had a partner dispute and learned the hard way that sometimes the people you think are your friends are not the same people you thought they were, a rather unfortunate circumstance, however, I firmly believe that when life hands you lemons you make lemonade, and from this experience my private practice with my wife has been highly successful, which has allowed me to begin writing full time. About two years ago I started taking on a smaller role in the private practice to begin learning the literary industry, most specifically marketing. I’ve always written books no matter where I was in my life; I even published a few books (five) during the psychology career. The last two years have been stellar, probably a few of the best years I’ve ever had. Now that’s some damn good lemonade lol.

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

What is the meaning of life? Easy question with a simple answer.

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

“And Here We Go!” from The Dark Knight. Joker says this line towards the end. I use it often and even added it to The Rose (it’s actually the title for part three). But that’s just one of many. I’m a movie quote type of guy; usually every word out of my mouth has some movie reference to it. Here’s a few:

“A man who doesn’t spend time with his family can never be a real man.” The Godfather

“Men don’t follow titles, they follow courage.” Braveheart

“Only one way to kill a werewolf.” The Monster Squad

“I have come here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And I’m all out of bubble gum.” They Live

“It’s all in the reflexes.” Big Trouble in Little China

“Get back here you foolish.” The Nightmare Before Christmas

“Nice and smooth.” My own

“Paulie didn’t move fast. But then again Paulie didn’t have to move for anyone.” Goodfellas

“Our focus determines our reality.” The Phantom Menace

“Saddest thing in life is wasted talent.” A Bronx Tale

“Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes.” Walt Whitman

“You want this.” Return of the Jedi

“Do. Or do not. There is no try.” Empire Strikes Back

“Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter.” Empire Strikes Back

“When everyone in the world stops believing in you, you’ve got no choice but to start believing in yourself.” My own

 That’s just a few off the top of my head.

--Here are PD Alleva's internet links:

Instagram

Facebook

Twitter

Amazon

Website

Goodreads

Bookbub

Newsletter

*****************************************

My thanks to PD Alleva for participating in the interview.

In my own writing, today I completed an exciting chapter which includes a thrilling account of a desperate battle with the terrible stone cats in my Tomahawks and Dragon Fire series. If you like fantasy with action and adventure, this is the series for you. The first trilogy is complete and the second trilogy is underway.



If you're more in the mood for some mystery, adventure, and romance try Smoke, my 1940's detective novel.

If you prefer westerns--yes, I have those too: Justice in Season and Justice Resurgent.

2 comments: