Monday, November 23, 2020

 

Interview with Jonathon Lively

Author of

The Oreniah Codex


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

I am working on the sequel of my first book, The Last Soul. I am working on the sequel following book two as well. In fact, I am writing them as one book, a continuous story, and then finding a good breaking point to split it into two novels. Also, I am writing a side story to my trilogy and I am considering turning it into a podcast. We’ll see. It’s still in the works and not my main focus at the moment. 

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

Oof. I spent three months combing through a multitude of documents collected since I was in middle school. Most of the documents were character designs because I originally wanted to be a graphic designer. I parsed literally hundreds of pages down to an outline that was about thirty-three pages long. From all the inspiration, I ended up with my story. It wasn’t a story that I planned, but one that just sort of, happened. Which, I am perfectly okay with!

Do you write in more than one genre?

Not yet. However, my current WIP, has a horror subtheme. Which has been really fun to combine with fantasy aspects. I have been listening to a lot of horror podcasts of late to get inspired.

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

My story is definitely unique. Every person that I have spoken with about my book or who has read my book, has commented that my premise is different. A lot of magical systems that I have read or learned about, are really cool. My story takes place in the afterlife. So, to have an interesting magical system, I decided to base it around a reincarnation system, souls that decided to imbue their spirit into relics, and abilities related to Pillars that make up the universe. The Pillars of my universe are similar to Infinity Stones from Marvel. If you draw a cube on a piece of paper, its two squares that are connected by four lines. If you count every single line that makes up a cube, you’ll end up with twelve lines. Each line of said cube is a Pillar in my story. The cube itself is the universe. So, twelves Pillars, each representing some aspect that makes up the universe, are holding up the universe. When they are out of balance or break, the universe ceases to function properly. That is the basic premise of my story, the twelve Pillars that make up my universe are distorting, cracking, breaking, and falling apart.



Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

Absolutely. I have lived in several states and many towns and cities in between. I was also homeless, literally on the street, for the better part of a year as well. I have experienced and learned things that a lot of people never consider. I lived a life with no purpose for a long time, just aimlessly wandering. I didn’t know what I wanted to do most of the time but because of that, I was always chasing a new way to live. This has helped my writing a lot because I am more easily able to put myself into a different character’s shoes. What manifests the most prevalently, is probably characters coming up from bad situations when they were younger. Which to be fair, I didn’t have a bad life when I was young. Sure, there were things that weren’t good but compared to a lot of others, it could have been a lot worse. What put me in the situations I lived through as a young adult were my own decisions, very poor decisions.

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

Helpful? I don’t know about helpful… But here is an interesting fact, I love woodworking. I recently built our families home. A lot of help was forthcoming from my in-laws but I picked up a lot of skills and hobbies in the process. So now, I do some amateur woodworking. It’s a nice break from typing to go and work with my hands. I am even considering trying to make crafts or small furniture to help fund my book expenses!

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

Hmm, I would probably say either Brian Staveley and/or Alan Campbell. I don’t think that Brian Staveley will remain an underrated author for long though.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

I only have one so, The Last Soul! I am really excited to release more books though and I have three in the works. All sequels of some sort.

Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

Meeting and speaking with Dakota Krout. I expressed a very mild interest in writing help when I was living in Grand Forks. I was part of the 701 Coworking Space there and the Executive Director at the time, Collin Hanson, put me in touch with Dakota. He was a mentor for me in writing my first book. Dakota helped me push past barriers as or before I got to them. I’ll be grateful for his help and guidance for years to come.

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

I wish people would ask me about my characters and their abilities more. Those are the bread and butter of my writing. I’ve spent most of my outlining on character descriptions and abilities and how they relate to the story. Some of the abilities in my published book seem simple on the surface but I promise you, there is significant relation to the story as a whole and the depth of their skills. I am heavily inspired by manga and anime, that should tell you how I view my character powers.

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

My phrase for the book, The Last Soul, isn’t well known. Its something I decided on but never pushed in marketing. I plan to do more with it in future installments but for now, it’s generally unknown. The phrase, “Live Soulfully” is meant to imply that people should live according to their soul’s purpose. In the afterlife that I wrote, souls merge with their physical bodies and live eternal lives on Oreniah, the heaven of my universe. These souls merging with their bodies cause a balance that manifests physical abilities in their reality. To reach Oreniah, you must climb your way up a cycle of rebirth and reincarnation. The more you live your life according to your soul’s purpose, the higher you’ll climb. Until eventually, you arrive on Oreniah and bond with your soul in a physical way.

 

 


www.facebook.com/theoreniahcodex/

www.instagram.com/oreniahcodex

www.theoreniahcodex.com

https://amzn.to/2GR9EBx 


No comments:

Post a Comment