Saturday, November 14, 2020

 Interview with

Jon Del Arroz

Author of: the Aryshan War trilogy, For Steam and Country, The Stars Intertwined, Flying Sparks, and more


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.   Right now I’m working on the 3rd book of the Aryshan War trilogy, tentatively titled The Stars Rejoined. It’s going to wrap up the major story arcs from the first two books, so I think fans will be very excited about it.

  

Where did you get the idea for this book or series? This series is my baby. I first started this as I was thinking about Star Trek in class in high school. I made a character who was basically some Trek fan fiction and then I twisted it around a few years later into my own universe and created Sean Barrows, an internal affairs auditor turned spy. Through the process I created a whole universe of Aryshans, Drenites, Tralos and some other alien species we haven’t seen before for a full galactic scale. I’ve got a lot of story to tell still in this universe.

 

 

Do you write in more than one genre? Yes, I do steampunk and fantasy in addition to my sci-fi and I also write comics – where I’ve really been exploring a lot of genres through my shorts. Have done some cop drama, romance, and horror there in addition to my general genres.

 



 

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.  I pay special attention to character. Love and desire really are big motivators for a lot of us and so we’ll often make sweeping crazy decisions that impact our entire lives because of them, and so you see that a lot of with characters like Sean from the Aryshan War, who is willing to live as his entire life as alien because of his love of Tamar.

 

I’m also not afraid to explore Christian themes in a, pardon a lack of a better way to phrase this, non-lame way. Christianity was the driving force of so much of our culture’s art for centuries until the 80s-90s where it really got put into a little box where Christian culture became synonymous with watered down and boring. It’s my aim to take back the ground and make awesome works with those themes like you used to see with C.S. Lewis or Tolkien.

 

 

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?  Always. I put in little events or tidbits into characters which are drawn from real experiences all the time.

 



 

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you? I’m a big graphic novel collector, and love hardcover omnibuses. Any fancy special edition books really get me as I like the leather stuff too. It’s an expensive hobby but really nice books are worth it. I view it as preserving culture. I’m also very prolific. I spend most of my time working on this stuff so I try to come out with a release of some sort every month. And… I play tennis very well too!

 

 

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?  John C. Wright really doesn’t get enough love and I don’t know why. His prose is off the charts incredible and he does exactly what I’m speaking of with the Christian themes that aren’t lame. I recommend his Green Knight’s Squire books more than anything. Up there as my favorites.

 

 

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why? This is tough and it really depends on what genre you’re into! I have a little something for everyone who likes sci-fi/fantasy. My goal is you check out one series and enjoy it and you’ll trust that my writing in the other subgenres will be quality and you’ll be able to follow along with everything. For steampunk fans: The Von Monocle Series.  Star Trek fans: The Aryshan War. Star Wars Fans: The NanoTemplar series. Comic Fans: Flying Sparks. Start in those places and then check out the other stuff.

 



 

Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most? I suppose getting banned from everything! The mainstream industry has been very unfair and awful to me because of my outspokenness on conservative and Christian issues. What it’s done is made me completely unafraid and confident in my work to where I can write anything without worrying. The confidence translates into better and more meaningful writing.

 

 

What question do you wish you would get asked more often? Anything about comics or books really. I love the craft, I love the classics especially, so I always want more opportunities to talk about them and the golden age of American culture.

 

 

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?  I like Stan Lee’s “Excelsior!” because it just gives a sense of jubilation and wonder when coupled with storytelling. It means superior quality, and that’s what I aim to provide.

Jon's links:

http://www.delarroz.com/

http://www.youtube.com/c/jondelarroz

https://www.amazon.com/Jon-Del-Arroz/e/B01NBOZVCP

_______________________________

My thanks to Jon for participating.

Jon mentioned Star Trek in his response. That reminded me that I recently saw Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home. It's a fun movie in many respects. However, I have to ask, has there ever been stupider, more ridiculous premise than a giant space-going roll of aluminum foil bent on destroying the earth because it can't find any humpback whales? Seriously? Spock's Brain and Gem were pure genius compared to this movie as far as the underlying premise goes.


Nimoy directed, and collaborated on the story with Harve Bennett. Looking around the net informed me that Eddie Murphy wanted a starring role, and was written in as a professor who listened to whale songs. Apparently he wasn't enamored with the part and didn't take it. So we missed getting to see Axel Foley playing off of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, et al. That has to be a good thing.

Aside from the ridiculous premise, the story lacks almost all the things I want and expect from Star Trek -- and things which Nimoy specifically want to avoid: cool space battles, phasers and photon torpedoes blasting, death, and an evil villain. Don't misunderstand. I think STIV is a fun show. Most of the movie is humorous. The cast has a big problem to overcome, and does so in an interesting manner with plenty of funny conversation along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment