Sunday, November 8, 2020

 Author Interview

with Michael Ross

Author of the Wand Chronicles


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

In all honesty I am just finishing off one series and have just started the next. The Wand Chronicles is an epic fantasy trilogy where humans meet elves for the first time and the adventures center around a very powerful wand called Elvina (www.thewand.me)

 But have started another series called The Big Fairy Adventures. Book 1: ‘How it all began’ is now published. This is another fantasy series involving humans, elves, Orcs but mainly fairies. It centers around a rather overweight fairy called Tinker Tanker (she likes her nectar too much) she is covered in little bruises she gets from bumping into walls as she is buzzing along. Her wings can’t quite cope with her body shape. But she has a heart of gold and very brave. The first adventure concerns a powerful magic amulet called The Golden Quandrill that an unfortunate Orc called Chard Bhum tries to steal. Why is he called Chard Bhum? When he was born, his mother dropped him bum first into a red-hot lava stream that caused scar tissue to form around his bum so he walks with an unusual gait. I also have other characters that appear from my previous trilogy, The wand Chronicles

 Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

The ideas generate from my last trilogy, plus I have always had a very imaginative mind. I still believe I have the mind of a 6-year-old! I have always lived in my own little fantasy world

 


Do you write in more than one genre?

Yes, I’m multi-genre. True Life story, comedy, an extensive range of children’s picture books, Short scary stories, books for teens and young adults, and soon to write my first Sci Fi book

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

 If I liken my writing style loosely to anyone, it could be a mixture of Tolkien and Terry Pratchet. So I wanted to write a book where the characters feel as real as possible. I am an actor, a method actor, so bring that into the mix. Also wanted a dialogue that was at times comedic. It can be done even in situations where the mood is dark and depressive. My books have original quotes, illustrations, and even a phonetic table to help pronounce some of the characters names. I’m a pantser, so believe that makes my writing fluid and flow so much better. As I write a chapter, I can surprise myself in the twists and turns in the adventure as it happens.


 Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

Well, certainly my acting comes to the fore. I could tell you for each character, what they like to eat, how long they like to sleep, where they like to go on holiday, what annoys them and so on. And this isn’t just for the human characters, but others like the orcs, the elves, the fairies and so on

 What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

I also developed a fitness system called Kettfusion which is in the top 3 most popular systems used in the UK and is also in 4 other European countries. I still act now, not so much Theatre or TV anymore but in big films like the Sherlock Holmes movies with Robert Downey Junior.

I developed a board game to go with my Wand Chronicles trilogy, which went on to be voted into the top 10 most popular games in the UK in 2019

Also, I got into writing after a visit to a clairvoyant, who kept insisting I write. This was 6 years ago, so I did and haven’t looked back.


Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

Oh, here goes. I am a researcher into Out Of Body Experiences. An excellent book on the subject is by an Author called William Buhlman entitled ‘Adventures Beyond The Body’ It is a very easy to read book that will set you on the path to exploring this subject. BTW, I tend not to read other authors in the genre I write in when writing. I don’t want anyone else’s ideas to filter into my work. I want everything to generate from my own imagination.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

That will be my Wand Chronicles trilogy, I spent a lot of time working on making it a complete set of books We are talking 110,000 words per book. Complete with original illustrations, original quotes for each chapter, a detailed glossary, and a phonetic help table for some of the characters names and places.


Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

14 years ago my wife was violently murdered. I was left with 2 boys who were 4 and 6 at the time. A number of year later I chronicled it all into a true life story book called ‘Just Five More Minutes’ which went on to become a best seller. I also narrated the audiobook and it won the Independent Audiobook Awards held in Kansas city in 2019. It is a very positive book and because of my guidance and honesty, it has helped thousands pf people who have been coping with tragedies in their life.

I always said when I wrote it, if I can help just one person I will be happy. It went onto helping thousands all around the world

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

‘Are you famous?’ but of course I then have to be honest and say no, not yet. I am quite well known in the UK as an actor, but would like to be a very successful author.

 


 Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

‘Oh God, what now?’ This helps me a lot when writing. I say it to myself a lot, and something exciting pops into my head that’s takes the adventure I am writing in another unpredictable direction. Unpredictability I believe is the key. And I believe the author can be just as surprised to find out why and where the storyline follow a different direction.

Thank you.

 

Michael

Useful links: website: www.thewand.me

Amazon author page: https://amzn.to/2ZPPWzd

_____________________________________



Threading the Rude Eye is the first book in my Tomahawks and Dragon Fire Trilogy. 

Alex wants to finish his indenture and complete his studies with his mentor so that he can get married to his sweetheart and become a barrister in England. His Majesty's Supreme Commander destroys those plans with ruthless efficiency when a map to a cache of magic power is brought to his island. Alex is swept into a revolution which pits him against the might and magic of an empire. If he fails to protect the map and its treasure, the commander will crush two nations--along with Alex and his friends--beneath tyranny's boot, and the cause of liberty will fail

***

Writing in the first book in the sequel trilogy--Promise of Carnage and Flame--went superbly this week. Iago's thread is filling out nicely with the little man discovering that the fate of a family and band of strange new people rests upon his small shoulders. Alex and an enemy enter the dragon's lair together, while Akram and the others continue their clandestine mission. I love the way it's coming together.

No comments:

Post a Comment