Sunday, August 6, 2023

Pirate Rembrandt

 


 I wrote another short story this week, which has nothing to do with the picture above. My story is a stab at a humorous western horror story. I like the main characters enough that I may feature more stories with them--provided they survive. I finished under the word count, so I can go back and make corrections and perhaps add some helpful details.

___________

As for the image above, it was supposed to be a well known actor as a pirate done in the style of Rembrandt but it looks more like Rembrandt as a pirate, in my opinion. He seems to be a little disgusted. I can't tell whether his ire arises from being forced to sit for the painting or from the fact that he tortured the captain, officers, and women aboard the last prize, and they still refused to divulge anything of significant value.

"This is another fine mess you've gotten us into, Mr. Vermeer."

"Don't worry, Remmy, old boy, I've got a plan. The Spanish have ships absolutely loaded to the gills with treasure. We'll take the good ship and crew to the Caribbean, lay hands on a couple prizes loaded with doubloons and pieces of eight, maybe even  pieces of ten or twelve, and retire to our own island in the south seas. You can paint to your heart's delight."

"You almost persuade me to cut off an ear, but I think I'll work on perfecting my chiaroscuro techniques instead. As for you, do you think much about that girl with the pearl earring you tossed overboard?"

__________

Because I wrote a short story, I didn't get any writing done on book 6. I'm at an event in the tale that I had only vaguely foreseen, and I'm trying to work out how to write it--except I'm writing short stories instead. There's a satisfaction that comes with finishing a short story--like finishing a book--and it doesn't take so long to get from start to finish--especially as compared to a multi-book series.


No comments:

Post a Comment