Sunday, July 30, 2023

The Riders (1)

 

 


 The clouds in the summer sky burned in the red-orange rage of a dispossessed sun crashing below the horizon. The dark hills--recumbent silhouette--shielded the landscape from the final fury of the sinking disk. Seven riders passed along a narrow trail away from the shadow and into the flat expanse separating them from the village. Sharp noses and the harsh lines of many campaigns marked their faces. Neither kindness, mercy, nor remorse found place in the experience etched in their features.

(The Riders - To be continued)

_________________

I wrote a short story this week and therefore didn't get any writing done on Book 6. 

I'm still getting kind words on the talk I gave last week. Comments included: "It was amazing" and "It made me cry." -- I'm hoping that last one was meant in a good way. I've learned it was referred to on the youth activity, but I don't know whether the context was "don't do that" or "see, anyone can give a meaningful talk with a little effort." All that means that whenever I give another talk, there's little chance that it will measure up to that one. I have nowhere to go but down.

In other news, I have confirmed that WD-40 does have cleansing properties in addition to its lubrication and penetration abilities. I used some on the sides of the motorbike where the black panels had become dulled with I-don't-know-what. They look much better.

The first two books in the Tomahawks and Dragon Fire Series remain at 99 cents a piece for the time being.





2 comments:

  1. With the merest nod and flick of the reins, each dark shadow silently split off into position spreading across the dusky landscape as easily as a foot finds a well-worn track. The point positions to either side slightly quickened their pace, forming a silent but deadly pincer. Too many villages, too many years, they would not take any more chance here, especially here, than they had ever taken. They had not lived this long by being careless... (nope, I don't write, hope you find a great paragraph!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice. That one builds a set up for an imminent attack--unless the third paragraph is going to subvert our expectations...

      Delete