Sunday, March 12, 2023

Katharine E. Wibell

Interview with

Katharine E. Wibell

Author of: The Incarn Saga, The Guardian's Speaker, and The Twelve Tasks

 


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

I am always working on several WIPs simultaneously. I am actively writing the fourth book in The Djed Chronicles series. These are young adult, adventure, epic fantasy books of which the first, The Twelve Tasks, earned second place in the 2021 Moonbeam Children’s Book Awards in the Young Adult Fantasy/Sci-Fi category.

I also have the fifth novella for my series, The Guardian’s Speaker, with my editor while the sixth one just came back from my beta readers. This series is an adult, dark, Viking fantasy. The first one in that series was a finalist for the International Book Awards in the Fiction Novella category.

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

My ideas come from very different places. The Djed Chronicles was heavily influenced by the imaginary play that my sister and I engaged in when we were children. Many of the core concepts, main characters, planets and backstories were born during that period. In fact, one reason I became an author was that I wanted to share these stories with others.

The Guardian’s Speaker novellas were inspired by my utter fascination with all things Nordic. I had read about the animal-shaped guardian spirits of the Vikings known as fylgjur and wanted to use that as a core the concept for a series. Readers will get to experience all nine worlds that comprise Yggdrasil, the world tree, and meet many famous and obscure entities from Nordic mythology.


 Do you write in more than one genre?

I focus on epic/high fantasy, but I do write for several age brackets: young adult, new adult, and adult.

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

I love discovering obscure mythological entities from around the world and introducing them to modern readers. I also enjoy portraying well-known entities or fantastical creatures/beings with surprising twists to shake things up and create something novel. However, I believe that the best fantasy must be relatable, so I do touch on real-world issues like racism, sexism, and religious persecution.

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

I am drawn to physically strong, female characters. I am committed to my personal fitness. I have also competed in archery and currently enjoy axe throwing. As a result, each of my three series has at least one warrior woman although she might not be the main character.

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

My debut series, The Incarn Saga, is a shifter, war fantasy for new adults. It is set in and around the Kingdom of Elysia where the ruling humans and native shifters must find a way to put aside their mutual distrust and work together to fend off a greater foe. The books have received a number of recognitions since publication.

Readers might be surprised to discover that I am also a reverse-glass artist who specializes in pet portraiture. In addition, I enjoy collecting replicas of Viking artifacts; playing with my dog, Alli; kayaking, hiking, and meeting readers from all around the world. I can be found on most social media and my website: www.KatharineWibellBooks.com.

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

Honestly, I primarily read ancient epic poetry and prose—the source material for most mythologies. My focus at the moment is Nordic mythos, so I could recommend a number of Icelandic sagas, but you’ll need to ask someone else about contemporary books. However, I am always open to book suggestions.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

This is like asking a parent to name their favorite child. My answer would depend on the age of the reader and the level of grit he/she/they are interested in. On one hand, I have The Twelve Tasks which is a fun, action-packed book. On the other, there is The Guardian’s Speaker; shaped by Norse mythology, these novellas can be grim at times.



Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

Either hiring a publishing assistant to expand my social media presence or taking a course on advertising for authors has helped.

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

What is the number one thing I would recommend to people interested in writing a book of their own?

My answer would be:

It is NEVER to early to begin building your platform. This includes but not limited to your newsletter subscribers and social media followers. I, like many others, thought I had to have my first book published before I should start working on those resources. If I had done things differently, I know I would be better off today than I am.


 

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

To see a World in a Grain of Sand

And a Heaven in a Wild Flower

Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand

And Eternity in an hour

--William Blake

I have been a fan of William Blake for quite a while. This particular quote has a very mystical and magical quality about it which I love.

_______________________________

Thanks to Katharine for participating (again).

First, let me give you some good news: Smoke is 40% off for a few days - get it here.

Second, I had some witty observations to make--but I've forgotten them. Therefore, I'll leave you with a snippet from my WIP - Book 6 of the Tomhawks and Dragon Fire Series:

“You want them to take us to Black Moon?” Jan asked. “I thought you said it was a place of torture.”

“I do, and it is. I mean that I don’t want them to take us to Black Moon but I’m afraid anywhere else they take us might be closer and just as painful. I’m trying to buy us some time before the cutting, bleeding, spearing, and burning starts. The longer it takes, the more chances we have to escape.”

“It’s not quite the truly terrible idea it first seemed to be,” Jan said.

“And yet it remains a very bad one,” Bonnie added.



 

2 comments:

  1. Love Blake. I seem to recall the Queen having quite the collection at Windsor(?) Sadly, I have yet to get to "In Death Bedrenched. "

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not up on the Queen's poetry collection. In Death Bedrenched is a pretty quick read and provides the back story on Lucette and the commander.

    ReplyDelete