Sunday, March 5, 2023

 

 

 

I may have to work this into a cover for book 6 in the Tomahawks and Dragon Fire Series. It captures some of the excitement in chapter 5. I'm still in chapter 6, but the cataclysm that is chapter 5 reminded me of some important turning points in the series.

The tower fight chapter of Threading the Rude Eye changed everything that followed. It led to Lucette's increased importance and set up the sequel to that fight in Clamorous Harbingers. Another critical point that profoundly influenced the rest of the story was a struggle in the snow involving Akira, Alex, and Roberts. The Awesome Train blew its whistle and pounded right through what I had planned, bringing terrible consequences for the central characters. I think Power to Hurt and Truth in Flames were free of violent, story-transforming events in that the events and characters adhered to the main plan--which was already at def=con level Phenomenal. Oh, I almost forgot. The whole Iago thread in Promise of Carnage and Flame was supposed to be a much smaller part of the whole story. The tone of that thread also dramatically changed from conception to words on the page. I had actually pictured the Wanadaga as much more malicious. The whole thread became a starring role for the little man with a deep dive into his backstory and setting him up for the crucial role he would play in Truth in Flames

Let me just say that I am utterly gobsmacked by the way the story has come together so far. Writing chapter six has been fabulously stimulating too--even though all the characters are conforming to the behavior I had planned for them.

There are a couple reasons that I'm still writing chapter six at a time when I should be on chapter 12. First, I had to write/edit a couple short stories for consideration in anthologies. Second, I've been inducted into the cast of a play at the local theater. Play practice slices right through my established writing time. 

_________

Today I got a call two hours before church started. A Sunday School teacher had fallen ill and couldn't teach her class. I snapped into action and called another teacher who had wanted a chance to teach again. She was prepared--but was already teaching the other class for a teacher who was out of town. I was reluctant to call someone else without more notice, so I tapped myself for the job. It was another great experience. I'm sure the throng of class members with pitchforks and torches at the end was purely done in jest.

The Corsican Brothers came by Saturday. They commandeered the tavern with the balcony, stairs, rail, and chandelier, which I had created for a musketeers scenario, and filled it with goblins, leeches, eagles, a white ape, a few other figures from Middle Earth, Star Wars, and Barsoom for use as the next level in their ever evolving game. One of the brothers has succeeded in co-opting the spells from HeroQuest for his character's use and abuse.I did introduce them to the idea of a saving throw. I expect that concept to come up again for abuse the next time they play. The important thing is that they're having a good time, using their imaginations, and applying themselves to a modicum of reading and writing to keep the adventure going and the numerous characters and monsters straight.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment