Saturday, July 31, 2021

 

Time traveling with Rachel McAdams was the theme for the week--at least as far as movies go. Two movies blipped onto my radar recently: The Time Traveler's Wife and About Time

In both films, Rachel McAdams plays the object of the time traveler's affections.

In The Time Traveler's Wife,


the time traveler has no control over when and where he is taken. He is taken to significant times in his or his wife's life. He actually meets her when she is a child. Although that's the first time she meets him, it is not the first time he meets her--because her life progresses in linear fashion, while his jumps about in time. In addition to the complete lack of control over when, and when, his leaps about time also pull him without purse, scrip, or clothing. It's a very touching film. The lack of control and the spotty knowledge of the future add to the emotional impact. Eric Bana plays the time traveler. 

I give it 5 out of 5 time warps.


In About Time,


which I watched with the magic filters of vidangel, McAdams' character doesn't know about the time traveler's ability. The time traveler, played by Domnhall Gleeson, can travel backwards to any specific time in his life (and back again). The male members of the family have this ability. He father tells him about it on his 17th birthday. (But I never noticed that the uncle did any time travel). He sets to work immediately using the ability to help get a girlfriend. Because he can control the when, and the when, he is able to go back and repeat experiences with the knowledge of how to improve them. With the stuff taken out that gave it an R rating (via vidangel) it is fabulous. It does seem to break, or at least bend, some of its own rules and leaves one with many of the usual questions about time traveling possibilities--but I was happy to set that aside. The movie is funny as well as thought-provoking and deeply poignant. The message at the end is actually obvious and trite, but the journey to that point makes the message resonate--but it would still be cool to be able to do the whole time travel thing.

I give it 5 out of 5 flux capacitors.

________________________________

I uploaded the 10th episode of Saving Tirese today -- here's the link to it in the vella store. Go and read some. Give a thumbs up for the first three episodes -- they're free. I admit it starts a little rough, but it does settle into an adventure story with lots of action.

On the Leipzig front, a turn or two was all I got in this week, and nothing worth discussing developed. the French remain cautious and haven't yet succeeded in taking Auenhayn. 

I won 5 autographed books in a drawing and the first one has already arrived: DJ Butler's In the Palace of Shadow and Joy. I started reading it in the middle of the night a couple nights ago when I couldn't sleep -- and it did the trick. No. Seriously, I'm enjoying it. Those you who read this blog regularly will remember that I got to have lunch with Mr. Butler in Provo last year. I've previously read and reviewed his book The Wilding Probate  on this blog and which I recommended as a five-star fun read. I'm looking forward to getting the rest of my random drawing autographed booty.


No comments:

Post a Comment