Sunday, June 20, 2021

 

I haven't done a book review in a while. I keep forgetting. I recently read Bitter Glory by David Swatton.



I came across this one unexpectedly while doing some research for a series I have in mind. I saw that it involved the battle of Marengo 1800 and I had to read it. The Napoleonic wars have been an area of personal interest since I was in jr. high school. I probably have more books related to that subject than any other single topic, excepting only religious topics. I see that the book only has five ratings, so maybe there aren't many of us with in interest in the subject.

The book follows Captain Chauvelle who is an officer in the chasseurs-a-cheval, the light cavalry of the French army. It's a bit like Sharpe's Rifles but with a French light cavalry protagonist instead of British light infantry hero. The protagonist goes over the Alps, gets inside the siege at Genoa, and participates in the battle of Marengo, hitting the high points in the campaign.

There were a few things that annoyed me. This included occasional profanity (at least it was few and far between), the repetitive and disconcerting use of the word "slither," and the over use of the word "clamber." Every time a horse stopped quickly, sliding to a halt, the author described it as "slithering to a stop" or "slithering in the mud." The horses could never just come to a stop, slide, or slip, they could only slither.

More importantly, I liked many things about the book. The characters and backstories were interesting and important to the motivations and plot complications in the novel. The author had studied or researched the era and the particular campaign. The depiction of the historical persons reflected what seems to be know about their personas. The main character had mostly good motivations and I was persuaded to root for him. The book did not lack for action and the author described it in an exciting and easy to follow manner.

I probably expected more than the book meant to give, but I mostly liked what I got. I would read a sequel if there were one.

***

Finally, having finished a couple replays of the battle of Marengo last month, I have started the battle of Wachau, from day one of the larges battle of the Napoleonic era-- Leipzig 1813 has begun. This is the largest part of the battle. I don't have enough tables, space, or miniatures to recreate the whole battle of Leipzig, but can I do this significant part.

Here's the view from the Allies perspective. Almost half of the Allied forces have yet to enter.


Here's the view from the French perspective. All of the French forces are on the map, including a couple brigades of Old Guard, and 6 or 8 brigades of Young Guard.


I expect the French troops to fare poorly in the face of the overwhelming numbers of the Allied artillery, but I may be surprised.

2 comments: