Sunday, June 27, 2021

 

Author Interview with

Brand J Alexander

Author of The Tears of Hatsunae Series


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

 I am currently writing book 3 of my Tears of Hatsunae series, Tears of the Fallen. The story up to this point has revolved around Asahn’s efforts to protect his people, which for the most part, he has accomplished. But the larger threats outside of his homeland await. The Order of Light, which has hunted his tribe, is still out there, and the world of Elerea is still dying from a mysterious illness. To solve these problems, Asahn will have to leave his people and his homeland and venture out into the wider world. The danger and challenges will grow as he explores unfamiliar lands and cultures, all while traveling into the heart osf the enemy’s capital. 

 Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

 The series concept began while I was receiving chemo for stage 4 cancer. That life-altering event pushed me to finally achieve my goal of becoming an author. So while I sat there through infusion for eight months, I thought about the universe I would create when I recovered.

A large part of the series focuses on religion and the way it is used and manipulated by different people for different reasons, even when the gods themselves are dead. I focus a lot on different forms of faith and belief that people hold throughout life, even down to the images we hold of our parents as children.

Because one of the main debates among religions is the story of creation, I purposefully wrote the genesis of my universe into the beginning of the book. A factual account to stand against belief. That prologue was designed while I sat in the hospital hooked up to the chemo, though I didn’t write a word of it until a year after.

The story was meant as more than the prologue for this book, however. It was also designed to be the beginning of a larger story within which all my other stories exist. All of the worlds within my fantasy universe arise from the same moment of creation, and I wrote it into my first full-length novel.   



Do you write in more than one genre?

I mostly write epic fantasy. However, I do have a series that I consider dark fantasy, which exists outside of my literary universe. Every year, I design and build a Halloween yard haunt called Ravenfell Manor. Ravenfell Chronicles: Origins is a dark fantasy series that explores the origins of the family behind the haunt and how Ravenfell Manor came to be. It is more of a collection of spooky ghost stories with a dark fantasy twist, so it is a bit different than my normal material.   

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

I love the history and worldbuilding of fantasy novels. My early inspirations for

writing began with Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time. His depiction of cultures and history helped to solidify the kind of worlds and stories I wanted to create. I am not sure if that makes me unique, but it is a facet of my writing style.

Readers have told me that my writing draws them in and makes them feel like they are actually there, living through the experiences of my characters. A few have told me that I have a way of drawing emotions from the words that make them feel them viscerally. I have had multiple readers tell me that several parts of the Tears of Hatsunae series brought them to tears.

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

I was a country boy growing up. I absolutely love the natural world around me, and I think that passion makes its way into my descriptions of the worlds and environments in my stories. I was never very athletic. I was more of a book nerd. So I think that tends to make itself into my stories as well. Intellect and cunning tend to be the solution more than strength and brute force.



What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

I am not sure if it is helpful, but perhaps it is a bit insightful. I became disabled in my mid-20s with a debilitating pain condition. I have adapted to be functional for the most part since, although with a lot of limitations. Due to that, a lot of my adventures nowadays take place within the stories and worlds I create. I make them as realistic as possible because I tend to live through them. 

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

I am not really sure if I read any underrated authors. The first one that comes to mind is Kristen Britain and the Greenrider series. Someone bought the first book for me, and I didn’t think much of it at first. But I fell in love with the story and her writing fairly quickly.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

I recommend the entire Tears of Hatsunae series. Although, the second in the series, Fall of Tears, is definitely my favorite of the two currently available. The series is a slow build to reach the epic scale. But in Fall of Tears the epic feel reaches a climax.



Rise of Tears is more of Asahn’s preparation for what is to come. Whereas Fall of Tears is where the real focus of the series comes into play. The emotions and consequences are all higher.

Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

As grim as it sounds, stage 4 cancer was a huge turning point in my dream to be an author. Robert Jordan’s passing left me with a big fear of dying before ever telling my stories. Then I was diagnosed with cancer, and I realized just how possible that fear was. As soon as I recovered enough to work, I sat down and wrote the first two books in the Tears of Hatsunae series in about a year. That slap of reality drove me to realize my dreams, and I am truly grateful for it.

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

Where can I buy your next book?

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

Not that I can think of. I do say “Ouch!” a lot thanks to my pain condition. Does that count?

As a favorite quote, I do like the beginning lines of the Wheel of Time books. I almost had it stenciled along the walls in my office.

The Wheel of Time turns, and ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.” -Robert Jordan

I followed the series for a large part of my life. I would anxiously wait for each new book. So each time I opened a new piece of the story and found those welcoming words, it was like coming home. 

________________

Thanks to Brand for participating.

An update on the Leipzig battle: After one and half turns, the allies, pursuing a fiercely aggressive strategy, lost two brigades of Prussian infantry while inflicting some damage on the French with infantry attacks and artillery fire. The allies also lost a battery of horse artillery when a squadron of French light cavalry swooped in immediately after the battery had fired, and destroyed it.



No comments:

Post a Comment