Sunday, July 26, 2026

Cress Creek Trail

  


 That mound of gray material atop the rock, according to the sign, is ash that was all hot and sticky and formed a kind of concretesque substance when it got compacted. I didn't get to go up and examine it closely because it was off the trail and, as you can see by the photo, not easily accessible from that location. Although, I do think I could've reached it if I had had the time and inclination.

We had slipped the chafing leash of fair Byzantium to seek adventure to the north. The All Trails app promised a "moderate" hike an hour away. I didn't notice whether we beat the estimated time, but we did arrive without mishap to the location where a hill or small mounts arise from the fertile plain along the Snake River. The trail head failed to elude us as Madame Google brought us to the parking lot. The lot was nearly full. I imagined that a full lot meant an easy hike but lots of people.

Before we left, I told my companion that it was an hour away and the trail was less than a mile and a half long. Naturally, she packed food and drink for a three day journey through orc infested forest--and we wouldn't be missing any second breakfasts. 

I, too, had planned ahead, and upon our arrival, I pulled out a bandana and rolled five or six ice cubes in it and tied it around her neck. I prepared another one and put it around my own neck. We loaded a couple bottles of water into the backpack and began the journey outlined on the app. 

The first part of the trail is actually paved--not asphalt, but actual concrete; although I don't think it was formed naturally like the gray stuff in the photo above. We passed a few folks on their way out, and when we arrived at the creek itself, several people and their kids were soaking up the shade. Naturally, considering that lingering in that area could lead to interacting with people, we continued up the trail.

"Up" is the operative word. The trail climbs to the high point with a few lookouts for those who wish to look down upon the domain below.


 That one must be from pretty low. It hardly makes one feel lordly at all.

I believe that one is a view from on the way up.

 

I think that one is from the first lookout. There was a better, higher lookout, but my companion declined to hike over to it, so that view will forever remain a mystery. Although, I think it would be a lot like that picture above, only a little higher.

This one may be from the top of the trail where the view is largely blocked by the trees. We encountered both Utah Juniper and Rocky Mountain Juniper, as well as a lot of other foliage. Most of the plant life crowded the stream, leaving the rest of the hillside to the Utah Juniper.
This picture shows some of that gray stuff closer to the trail. Both the picture at the top and this picture are were taken at the beginning/end of the trail. The trail is a short loop with only about 350 feet of elevation gain, if I remember correctly. It left me wanting more, but my companion thought it was just right. I could tell, because she didn't complain or make threats against my person during or after the trip.

We didn't even need to open the pack during the hike, waiting until we got back to the car before getting a drink and then nibbling at second breakfast on the ride home.

In the writing sector, I've finished chapter sixteen of book 3 in my adventures for boys series. It's coming along well, even though I'm still uncertain how the heroes get from where they are to where they have to be to finish the book. The journey is always an adventure.


No comments:

Post a Comment