Sunday, January 28, 2024

Abigail Manning

 

Interview with Abigail Manning 

Author of

The Emerald Realm Series


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

At the moment I am working on my second series which is an extension of my first series The Emerald Realm. This new series has yet to be announced, so I can’t share too much, but I can confirm that it will be another series of fairy tale retellings just like the Emerald Realm.

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

I definitely got the idea for my series from reading other wonderful retelling authors, although what makes my stories unique is that I choose to retell more unusual stories such as Goldilocks and the three bears.

Do you write in more than one genre?

No, not yet… I’m currently in the process of plotting an entirely new series, so I intend to explore new writing styles soon.

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

My stories are twisted classics, which is both original and not. I would say that the major point that sets me apart from other authors, specifically retelling authors, is that I like to touch on stories that most people have never heard retold. I also like to make the reader think. While it’s true that my stories are inspired by tale you already know, the story doesn’t always go the way you think… In some cases the nods to the original tales are obvious, but it others you’ll find yourself being surprised at where they show up.



Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

I actually studied theatre in college, so a lot of my scenes I end up visualizing like a staged production as I’m writing them. I studied a bit of costume design in school a well, and I definitely feel as if that shows in my clothing descriptions.

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

I’m also a nanny! When I’m not writing I’m wrangling kiddos which honestly affects a lot of my writing. I draw a lot of inspiration from their childlike joy and youthful imaginations.

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

Cora May has some really great fantasies that I enjoy! I’m currently reading her Golden Scythe series and really enjoy it!

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

My books are a part of a series so I always recommend that you start with book 1 Poisoned Heart, but… I would say that my second book Bearly Free:A retelling of Goldilocks has a lot more humor for someone looking for a good smile alongside their adventure.

Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

Surprisingly, being scammed did a lot for me. Back in January of 22 I got scammed by a fake promoter who flooded my reviews with negative slander. It was really awful at first, but when I reached out to my audience and writing friends for advice, their support was overwhelming. We not only won a legal case against the scammer, but I also gained a lot of positive support and my confidence in my writing boosted tenfold. It’s really heart-warming to know that your readers have your back and are willing to stand up for your stories.


What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

What’s my favorite dinosaur, I feel like that’s the real hard-hitting question that says a lot about a person. Mine for example, is the mighty Stegosaurus <3

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

Thy will be done. All in all I don’t have control over who buys books or what people think of them, so I simply take every small victory with a smile and every downfall with a grain of salt, because in the end the work I’ve produced will have to speak for itself.

______________________

Thanks to Abigail for participating.

I'm happy to report that the autographed books from the book giveaway went out on Friday to two lucky winners. I sent two books to the first winner and one book to the second.

I'm six chapters into the bugmageddon book, and I'll be taking a short break from it to complete a short story or two.

Is writing like carving out a pathway through a mountain? I think that's not a terrible analogy--better than a sculpting comparison. If sculpting is removing everything that isn't the desired form, writing is tunneling through the material--which may be soft or hard--to reach a destination. Wait! There's more. Writing not only requires chiseling or sometimes blasting out the path, it's also decorating the passages and rooms while populating the way with interesting characters who do exciting things to fascinate and entice the readers to continue exploring the caverns as their companions. I find it difficult to stick with a story if there are no characters that appeal to me. I don't have to like them, but I do have to care about them to some degree.

Story structures require a certain number of rooms and passages or a particular arrangement and decoration, according to the genre, and characters who are of the right type for the milieu with trauma and drama to captivate and intrigue. The tunnel must narrow at certain points and ascend, descend, or twist at the right locations to satisfy structural purists or some innate sense of continuity and archetypal expectations. Finally--well, maybe not finally, but finally as far as this little exposition goes--the chisel work should not call attention to itself, except on rare occasions to create that sense of awe and wonder the explorer craves, but which would weary or numb with profuse application.

Here endeth the lesson, such as it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment