Sunday, November 5, 2023

Anat Eliraz

Interview with Anat Eliraz

Author of 

Jewels of Smoky Quartz


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

I actually have two WIPs right now.

One is the sequel of my published book and continues the adventures of the characters. The story is a portal fantasy where a nurse, who also practices martial arts, finds herself in a new world and needs to use her wit and skills to survive and find her way. In the sequel the readers will learn more about the characters and the world and will get more information about things only hinted in the first book.

My other WIP is also a fantasy story that takes place on earth during WW2.

 

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

It was a December evening and I don't remember if it all started from a conversation with friends or something I saw on TV, but the question that came up was- Do we have free will, or not. The first book revolves around that question.


Do you write in more than one genre?

I write in the fantasy genre, but I did have an idea for a series of novellas that were meant to be a collection of short stories. Each novella about a different aspect of life- pregnancy stories, mother- in- law stories, etc. A kind of easy read for people using public transport and wanting something fun, short and mostly comic to pass the time. I had been playing with this idea in the many years I used the train and buses to get to university and work.


Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

Most basic ideas in fantasy stories aren't very unique. They are usually different versions of the same story. Most will have clichés, which readers either like or not.

My writing might be telling a story you came across in the past, but what makes it unique is the twists and turns in the plot. The word games that span the entire story.

The readers might notice some clues and congratulate themselves when they are revealed, or turn back the pages to see how come they missed it. Readers can actually take a semi- active part in the story by picking up on the clues and the reading becomes somewhat of a game.


Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

Wow! A lot!

My MC is a nurse. I am a physiotherapist and have been working with a diverse medical staff since 2005. 

She practices martial arts and so do I (though she is much higher ranking than me!).

I used to play D&D games from the mid 80's and some campaigns we played and characters from those games found their way into the book.


What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

I avoided political topics in my writing. The world around us is in so much turmoil, that I wanted to write a book without them. 

They say- write what you want to read. I felt I needed a break from this, and my book did not need it. 


I really enjoy corresponding with my readers! Some contacted me after reading my book, but with some I corresponded as they were reading and I must say it was loads of fun! Not only getting their thoughts on the book as a whole, but actually their immediate comments about certain scenes as they were reading through them. It's an amazing experience!

So- you're all welcome to chat!


Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

Great question!

In the past two years I decided to start reading books by new indie authors, and I must say- there are some very talented people out there whom I hope will shine bright in the future!

I am listing a few in the fantasy/ sci-fi genre-

Ryan Cahill- Of Blood and Fire

David Green- Solitudes Shadow

U. G. Gutman- Winds of Strife

Blake Vanier- The Orphans of New Lur

Daan Katz, Nathan Tudor, Jeffrey Kippel and others!

Why? (Almost forgot this part…!)

Because they write great stories and deserve a chance to prove it!


Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

Hmmm… out of my one published book… (so hard to choose!!!)

Okay! So it's "Jewels of Smoky Quartz"!

First of all- it's the only one I can recommend at the moment! 

But, like I mentioned before- it's a story full of twists and turns in the plot. 

It's an easy read, not too long, with things to ponder over but no politics or world scale wars.

Oh, and it has a dragon! 



Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

I always wrote, but never thought of publishing.

As a medical staff member, I worked all through the pandemic. But in the very first lockdown, when no one knew what was going on, I was also mostly unemployed. 

I started listening to podcasts and lectures about writing and publishing. My final draft had been sitting in a modern term drawer- disc on key, for over a year and I suddenly asked myself- maybe it's worth something? Why not try and publish it?! 

That's when my publishing journey began. I also did a crowd funding to help me out and it was a real learning experience for me!


What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

How are you?

But really asked. Not out of social courtesy, but out of true interest in me and my wellbeing.

Think about it, how many people ask you this question and actually want to listen to your answer?


Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it? 

"I am a writer! Anything you say or do may be used in a story!"

I really like it, because it's true! So many things from my daily life enter my stories, whether straight forward or changed to fit into a certain scene. But I guess in a way, many books are stories from our lives, dressed in a costume (in my case- fantasy setting), that when you take the basic essence- it's real life situations.

________________________

Thanks to Anat for participating.

 

In my own writing, I'm halfway through the final chapter of Book 6 in the Tomahawks and Dragon Fire Series.  I expect to finish this week. The story runs from England, Long Island, Lake Champlain, to the Mohawk Valley, deadly mountain hideaways, a winter of crises, and the potential disintegration of the patriot army. Action and adventure mark the course with dragons, dragonlings, stone cats, gryphons, and some new creatures to complicate our heroes' efforts. The core of indomitable adventurers carry on with separate threads toward some exciting conclusions in this episode in the series.

 

And if you would like to check out the anthology that features my noir detective short story "Monica on My Mind," Click here.

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment