Sunday, October 1, 2023

Belart Wright

 Interview with Belart Wright

Author of

The Hell's Glitch Series

Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

I have quite a few.  Mainly, I’m working on several LitRPG and Gamelit titles currently.  The main series is the Hell’s Glitch Series which will have a lot of life to it over the next few years.  Then there’s the Psy-Hunters sequel which will be there to scratch my Sci-Fi itch as I’m writing the dark world of Hell’s Glitch.  Other than that, I’m working on some one-shot Gamelit projects including one based on a beat ‘em up as well as a visual novel with light RPG gameplay mechanics.

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

I watched Sword Art Online and a few key moments such as the raid boss battles reminded me of the first Dark Souls game.

Do you write in more than one genre?

Yes.  Typically its dark fantasy, urban fantasy, sci-fi, action & adventure, grimdark, horror, gamelit, and litrpg.


Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

I think I’m pretty good with scenes with heavy emotions as well as action scenes.  I tend to be particularly obsessed with those since each of my books provides them. I would even call myself an action junkie like one of my characters.

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

Mostly childhood stuff.  Stuff that I’m not ready to talk about, but I do pull a lot of inspiration from my childhood which was strangely spent crafting storylines in various genres (martial arts, superhero, mecha, wrestling, grounded, etc) with action figures, dolls, and videogames.

I think my love of martial arts always shines through in whatever I write.  There’s also some reference or call back to martial arts in some way.

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

I’m an avid gamer and novice game designer.  You should be seeing some of my videogame projects in the next few years.


Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

Alexandra Engellmann, Matt Doyle, and Christina McMullen because they are tremendously talented and great people on top of that.  I enjoyed many of their books over the years and feel a bit of a connection with them and their work since I was around for their earliest titles.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

The Hell’s Glitch series for fans of dark fantasy, sci-fi, and videogames.  It’s gotten the most sells so far and I intend to write many more books in this universe.

Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

Back when I sold a tremendous amount of copies of Hell’s Glitch in 2016.  It allowed me to step up my book production drastically. I believe I published 3 or 4 books that year and wrote even more.


What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

Currently that would be, “where can I find your book” or “would you like this big bag of money?”

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

I used to have a ton of them, but I don’t really have any anymore.  I supposed I say “It is what it is” a lot these days because I tend to take a lot of crappy things in stride.  I like to let go of the things I can’t control so as not to be burdened by them.


 ________________________

Thanks to Belart for participating.

This week I tore into Book 6 in the Tomahawks and Dragon Fire Series--finishing a chapter twice after I moved a section from the subsequent back to get it in the correct position to suit the story development. I also got another short story (the last for a while) submitted. Also finished a couple books and mentioned them, along with a short excerpt from Book 6, in my newsletter that went out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment