Sunday, January 8, 2023

Jan Foster

Interview with Jan Foster 

Author of

The Naturae Series

Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

I’m in the middle of co-authoring a historical thriller set over World War 2 – both before and after it and spread over Germany, France and New York. It’s an interesting process which I’m really enjoying, this is my first co-author work and I’m excited about trying out a new genre with an amazing, experienced author by my side. I am also plotting out the next book in my Naturae series, which is historical fantasy and will be set during the reign of Henry VI of England, that will be a second prequel to the series, and a romance. So, another new genre as to get to grips with!

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

My Naturae series was born from both a love of history, the Tudors in particular, and a desire to write a story where the adult relationships are well, evolving. My two main characters have already been together for over a century, and yet in book 1 you realise they still have secrets from each other, dangerous ones which they have glossed over whilst trying to remain hidden in the human world.

Do you write in more than one genre?

I started off with a children’s picture book series, and whilst that was being illustrated, I began writing historical fantasy because it was a genre I love to read. If you had asked me 3 months ago if I would branch out, I probably would have said no, but I attended a conference in Las Vegas which opened my mind to how writing in a different genre can stretch you, challenge you, and possibly help you explore yourself as a writer. So when the opportunity arose to co-author, I applied and was very happy to be accepted.

 


Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

I know I talk about genre a lot above, but my books cross genres more than makes my life simple. I adore thrillers, so it’s a personal challenge to make my characters so compelling, the situations they are in challenging, and the world rich enough to immerse the reader. It makes my heart sing when a reader comes back and tells me they can’t put my book down!

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

Hopefully my curiosity, which I think is quite an attractive trait, although I can see how it can be annoying as I do ask a lot of questions when I am out and about researching locations! Those poor National Trust guides, it must seem a bit odd when someone comes up with a notebook and plagues them with questions, then scribbles away. I’d like to think that my novels make people a little more curious themselves, to ask the big (and the small) questions about the life we have on this world, but that could be just fanciful. Most of my stories start with a ‘What if..’ series of questions though – what if you were a ruler and needed an heir, but you couldn’t get one? What if you discover your wife had a hidden destiny all along, in a realm you had never been to?

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

I write in British English but I quite often use archaic texts for reference. Spell check does not like me and uploading a document containing an olde-english verse or five really throws a spanner into the kindle-making works!


Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

The Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean M. Auel. Still a classic to me, still amazing stories. What’s more, the research and theory behind how she imagines life in the Stone Age to have been like still stands the test of time, even though it was written probably 50 years ago by now. It was my first introduction to the kind of story which is also a journey through history and it’s still my go to comfort read.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

I think my latest release, Anarchic Destiny, is probably the work I am most proud of, both in terms of storyline, character development, research into the historical setting and the writing itself I felt has improved with practise!


Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

I recently attended a writers conference in Las Vegas. It was a little terrifying as there were sooo many people there, but I really felt it was worthwhile flying across the Atlantic for. I had my mind opened to new ideas to consider (co-authoring for example) but mostly, for the first time in my life, I felt like I had found my tribe. Other people who understood the ups and downs, perks and quirks of being an author. It not only motivated me, but hopefully will pay dividends to the business of being a self published author as well.

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

Where can I buy your book!

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

AIS – it stands for Arse In Seat and was one of the earliest pieces of advice given to me when I started writing, and was possibly flailing around a bit and allowing myself to get distracted. Sometimes, especially when you have a lot of other things to juggle, you need to remind yourself that words don’t just write themselves, you actually have to sit down (Arse In Seat) and put fingertips onto the keyboard! I can often be found standing by the kettle muttering AIS, Jan, AIS, to remind myself not to get side tracked into housework, or children or whatever it is that could wait a little longer so I can get some words down!

_______________________

Thanks to Jan for participating in the interview.

Although I tried to resist, I was overpowered by the desire to start writing on Book 6 of the Tomahawks and Dragon Fire Series. I know Book 5 is still warm on the press, but writing on the series is an affliction I just can't shake.

If you haven't done so yet, check out this free short story.

For your viewing pleasure, here are the covers of books 2 and 3 of the Tomahawks and Dragon Fire Series.


 Check out the series here and get started with Book One: Threading the Rude Eye.


No comments:

Post a Comment