Sunday, May 22, 2022

 

Author Interview with 

Crystal Cherie 

Author of The Divine Houses series 

Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

My current WIP is book 2 of my newest, Modern Fantasy series, The Divine Houses. After everything that’s happened in book 1, Robin thought life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're only half human, your best friend is dead, and you can suddenly control the power of life and death? I’m really excited for this particular book, and I like the series a little more with each book that I write.

(I note that since Crystal responded to this interview in October 2021, she has completed book 2 and is working on book 3)

Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

I got the idea for the series based on a character I had dreamed up in my head for a while. I also combined a couple of my favorite fiction worlds: Harry Potter and Sailor Moon. I’d always wanted to write a story involving both magical realism and celestial things, because they both felt like good escapes for me.



Do you write in more than one genre?

I absolutely do, although most of my work falls in either the Fantasy or Paranormal genres.

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention.

I think my stories have the added advantage of being written by someone who has been through some pretty uncommon, pretty hard things in real life. Therefore, I’m able to write things from a more realistic perspective that most people haven’t had to see—but can still relate to.

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

Lots of things! My writing is cathartic, and I use it to “purge” from the hard things I’ve had to face in life. Most of my readers will see a lot of things about death in my writing, and that’s because I’ve dealt with a lot of death. I don’t tend to write about abuse as often, though—even having been through it. I don’t think I’m to the point where I can write about that just yet.

Still, I do think a lot of my personality shows up in my writing through voice. I tend to do stream of consciousness at times, and that’s more a reflection of how I handle my somewhat neurodivergent thinking.

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

Helpful to know about me? I’m not sure. But I’m a thirty-something human being who put a lot of time, energy, and education into doing what I love better. I love sweet tea and cats and dogs. I like niche things that are hard to get just right—like the perfect shade of mint, evenings, and fall. There’s no such thing as a “cookie-cutter” life. Real life has jagged edges, and I like to try and mimic that in my works.

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

I’m not sure if she counts as underrated, but I don’t often hear people talking about her. So, I’ll suggest Jude Watson (Judy Blundell). Premonitions was the first novel I ever “binged”. I stayed up reading all night, and it was truly the first time I fell in love with the craft of writing.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

I recommend House of Pluto most, because with it being my newest book, I feel it’s the most well written. I love all of my stories and their characters, but I feel we only grow as time passes. There are techniques I know now that I didn’t know then. It makes for a better story.


Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

I think getting my publicist, Michael Evan, has helped me tremendously. Investing in my writing has opened new doors for me and pushed me to continue writing things I might never have finished otherwise.

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

I wish people would ask more about music and writing. I often put the two hand-in-hand, and I always have something I’m listening to for each book, sometimes for each chapter.

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

I’m fond of this quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson:

“The gods we worship write their names on our faces; be sure of that. And a man will worship something... That which dominates will determine his life and character. Therefore, it behooves us to be careful what we worship, for what we are worshipping, we are becoming.”

I pick this one, because out of all the quotes and clever sayings I’ve seen over the years, this one is the most profound to me—the truest to mankind. If we’re claimed by what we worship, then who has us?

Here's a link to Crystal's Website

__________________________

Thanks to Crystal for participating.

In my own writing, I have finished In Death Bedrenched -- finished in the sense that I have it out for review and criticism. My active newsletter subscribers have the secret link to access the book for those purposes. Everyone else can checkout the draft of the first chapter at my website here.

In Death Bedrenched is a prequel to the Tomahawks and Dragon Fire series. Book 5 of that series is currently in progress. What is the series about? Excellent question. Let me ramble. Suppose there were dragons in the new world, but they mysteriously departed to the western mountains in the early 1600s. Much of the settlement of the New World went in the manner of our own history. Add the Vikings who established at least one lasting settlement on the St. Lawrence. The natives remain formidable adversaries but have a history which includes dragons. It's 1775 and the dragons have returned. The American colonists fight for liberty. Opportunists struggle for the power offered by the dragons. The natives are beset on all sides, and some are under the control of dragons. 

A legendary cache of dragon magic and the map to its location is at the center of Threading the Rude Eye, the first book in the series. Alex and Lucette, and the dragon hunters must thread the rude eye of rebellion as their course, or rather flight from the dark commander who already wields a wad of the dragon magic, takes them into the maelstrom of the revolution and the battle of Bunker Hill. 

In Book 2, Power to Hurt, a whole lot of hurting takes place as the setting for some of the heroes has moved into the wilderness where the natives and the dragons serve party invitations--for parties with no survivors (think "Hotel California" meets Last of the Mohicans). Fortunately, Lucette has found allies--or has she? The dark commander may not be the most pressing problem for our heroes. Rip and Antonio have a secret mission to rescue Washington.

In Book 3, Clamorous Harbingers, Alex's decisions take a toll upon him and those he holds dear. An adversary who may prove unstoppable forces Alex to the breaking point. The race for the cache draws villains and heroes alike. The climactic clash could determine the future of the continent. Everyone involved will be forever changed by the result.

In Book 4, Promise of Carnage and Flame, the aftermath of the great clash, and personal secrets divide the adventurers, The tide of war has turned against the patriots. Alex is forced to make unthinkable choices, the consequences of which will burden him like a millstone. The misfits, Iago and Atu, discover a new people--in the same sense that a captive discovers his captors. The diminutive Iago faces dangers of more than one kind on the way to a new destiny. Another hero pays a tremendous price to achieve something that is worth even that great price.

As for Book 5 (in progress and not yet titled), I can only say that this may be the most exciting entry in the series so far.

The series' biggest fan did tell me today that he also wants a sequel to The Shrinking Zone, and of course, he wants Book 5 ready as soon as possible, and he's anxious to get his hands on In Death Bedrenched. I love it when fans want more. It's a win-win.



2 comments:

  1. A Harry Potter-Sailor Moon vibe sounds really intriguing and different! Very cool, I bet.

    BTW, Stanley, I tagged you with a writing tag here on my blog this morning. Play if you want to :-)

    ReplyDelete