Sunday, January 17, 2021

 Author Interview with

William David Ellis

Author of The Harry Ferguson Chronicles, and a Sherlock Holmes series



Please tell me a little about your current work in progress. I have two WIPs. One is the second of My Sherlock Holmes series Angels ,Saints and Sinners, and the other is the 5th in my Texas Fantasy series.  


Where did you get the idea for this book or series? The Texas fantasy series, called the Harry Ferguson Chronicles was inspired by the customers of a little café in Edom Texas. They gather together every morning to tell tall tales and generally see who can out lie the other. I couldn’t help but be inspired.

 

Do you write in more than one genre? Yes, my fantasy series crosses over into scifi romance fantasy and time travel, and my Sherlock Holmes series is mystery and detective

 

Tell me about something that you believe makes your writing unique or worthy of attention. An answer to that  might be I want my books to be  light in a world of dark. So much of current literature is dark in so many ways. It leaves people shaking their heads. they devour it for a season, then they get their stomach full and start looking for something else. By dark I mean Hannibal Lecter  tv-series , the Hunters that sort of stuff, Cuties by Netflix, My baby daddy was an alpha wolf, and stuff like that… My books are not squeaky saccharine clean. Lots of blood, and violence, but not for its own sake. I really believe the tide is turning away from the dark people are getting sick of it, now don’t get me wrong my villains are vile but they are not the heroes,  and they are not presented in such a way as some poor soul wants to copy them, some of my minor ones have a journey story and a few even turn back to the light. My heroes are flawed but they are still examples of people who will not give up and will not give in to their own flawed nature.


Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing? Ha what doesn’t manifest about my personal history? It is so much easier to copy a personality than to invent one. I have serious doubts about any author who claims to have totally from the ground up invented a personality. We are all a collection of our experiences and our mentors for better or for worse. I just admit my characters are copies of myself and people I know.

 

What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?. As far as writing and marketing, I learn as I go, the only way to learn how to swim or write is jump in and start. At first you make a ton of mistakes then you adapt, you learn, you study, you observe what is working and you move in that direction.

 

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why? Underrated? Hmmm I like Richard Houston he has a cozy dog series that has lit up the world and even placed him on some bestseller lists. If a guy writing about a dog, with no sex, or violence no dark scenes of mayhem can make a bestseller list, then hey so can I.

 

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why? Depends on what kind of mood I am in and what the audience is asking for. I love the Harry Ferguson Series, but I also see that my Sherlock Holmes series has a lot of potential for reaching people. So I am conflicted.


Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most? There have been several fortuitous circumstances,( I call it favor) that seem to be lining up and channeling me toward eventual success in my writing. Everything from friends who are remarkable story characters, to a wife, a father and a daughter who are or were English teachers. I just happened to meet a book promoter who is also starting his own publishing house, I just happened to win a couple of book contest awards, some great reviews by people I have never met, being a part of two very encouraging FB writers’ groups.  Being #1 in a genre I never expected to rate very high in…I could go on…

 

What question do you wish you would get asked more often? Can I buy your books in bulk?

 

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?  When your heart is right your head will get there eventually. I said that off the cuff years ago, and was struck how profound and accurate a statement it is. I couldn’t believe I made that up. But it is true.

_____________________________

I guess WD Ellis didn't get the memo on an author picture and a couple book covers to include in the interview -- but if he sends them, I will add them. I hope what he had to say about the end of the celebration of evil on the page and screen is true, but I have my doubts.

As for me, here's my interview on the James Davis' Books and Authors podcast:-- Here's the interview -- I really am that inarticulate, the right words continued to elude my mental grasp.


My writing, however, has been fabulous this week. I resumed the Iago thread and the extremely exciting conclusion to that unique story is imminent...and a beloved character is helpless against impending doom. As soon as this chapter wraps up, the story will revert to resolving this segment of the Alex and Lucette thread--if Alex can get his act together.

If you haven't signed up for my monthly newsletter, you missed my account of the knife fight over the body of the deceased. You won't want to miss another one. SIGN UP FOR MY NEWSLETTER HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment