Sunday, December 13, 2020

 Author Interview

with Poppy Kuroki

Author of ABard's Lament, Oath, and Rhoda


Please tell me a little about your current work in progress.

I’m currently working on a steampunk adventure about two female characters, one rich and one a poor runaway. It’s my first time writing steampunk and it’s a whole lot of fun!

 Where did you get the idea for this book or series?

 The gap between the rich and the poor is widening, and the classes tend to judge each other. Of course, humans tend to do that anyway based on the tiniest of differences. The story has a lot of themes, but one of them is learning to get to know people and accept them for who they are, not making assumptions about them because of their upbringing.

I was thinking making it a medieval setting, but then I realized I really wanted Zoya to have a motorbike. Jumping into the steampunk genre has been an awesome journey.

Do you write in more than one genre?

My existing books are all dark fantasy, but I’m hoping to write more steampunk in the future as well.

Is there anything about your personal history or personality that manifests strongly in your writing?

Colette goes through a lot of rough times in Oath, and I was going through similar rough times (not being forced into assassinhood though!) when I wrote it. How I felt at the time was definitely a huge influence on the book. I didn’t pull any punches for Colette.

 


What else would be helpful for readers to know about you?

Aside from books and writing I’m passionate about video games, so if you love gaming be sure to get in touch! I also live in Japan and have a travel blog; be sure to check it out: https://poppyinjapan.com

Excluding your own work, what underrated author or book would you recommend that more people read? Why?

I love TL Morganfield, but she doesn’t seem to really be active anymore. I also recommend Elizabeth Davies’ her historical fiction.

Which of your books do you most highly recommend? Why?

I recommend starting with A Bard’s Lament. It’s raw, it’s emotional, it’s got original music, and it’s a quick read you can enjoy in one afternoon.

 


Which break, event, decision, or fortuitous circumstance has helped you or your writing career the most?

Since ghostwriting full time, I got a lot more inspiration and decided to try writing for myself again. Taking courses and making connections has definitely been a huge help. It’s still early days for me but I’m hoping I can continue meeting amazing people and maybe make my mark in the writing world.

What question do you wish you would get asked more often?

“Would you like a slice of cake?” Just kidding… I suppose I’d like to be asked about my books more in general. I won’t talk about them if someone doesn’t ask as I don’t want to come across as annoying. It’s the best feeling ever when someone takes a genuine interest or when they’ve read your stories and have questions or comments.

Do you have a catch-phrase or quote that you like? What is it? And why do you choose it?

“It doesn’t matter how slow you go as long as you don’t stop” – Confucious. It makes me feel less bad about not hitting my writing goals. As long as we can write a little bit every day and do what we can, the next project will be completed.

___________________

Thanks to Poppy for participating.

In my own writing this week, the story progressed though another milestone. I'm over 80K words into Promise of Carnage and Flame, which takes place in an alternate history 1776 America in this fantastic flintlock fantasy. I've avoided most of the more famous action of the war to focus on the characters and their adventures which are extremely personal to them. However, the New Providence Raid has made its way into the story line featuring Captain Rip and Antonio on a mission to the Bahamas. One of the dragon hunters and a gryphon have joined the smugglers in Washington's service. Alex struggles to recover from a major calamity, and another of the dragon hunters has swallowed a draught* of both triumph and tragedy. The latter, and Iago's adventure are my favorite threads, but Alex and Lucette will face some terrible trials, the outcome of which may well determine the fate of the revolution. 

Also, if you missed The Great Christmas Chicken Chase, click on the "older posts" button below to catch up.

*I know; it should be "draft" but I prefer the old spelling, and I like to mispronounce it to rhyme with "thought," and I don't know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment