Sunday, March 10, 2019


This week I discovered Bobby Hackett sort of in the way that Columbus discovered America--it was something that was already there but I hadn't known about it. In this case, I do not get to claim it for anything other than my own nonexclusive enjoyment. James Lileks at Lileks.com mentioned listening to Bobby Hackett. I was intrigued. I searched youtube and found some of his stuff available at the big river site.

After a bit of listening I must liken it to musical silk chocolate (I see that silk chocolate could be taken to refer to soy milk. I take back that analogy.) dark chocolate, smooth with a hint of honey. In my youth I played the brass horn and learned to appreciate its robust metallic sound. I've enjoyed Louis Armstrong and Doc Severinsen and recognize their great talent. However, my favorite must be Hackett (now that I've discovered him for myself). I can almost hear the words gliding out of that horn in undulating-but-unwrinkled tones with the pleasantness of a cool summer breeze.

Listen for yourself while you read the rest of this post.




I finished reading Andy Peloquin's Trial of Stone this week.

I picked it up for $0.99 at the big river site. I think it's still offered for that price. Let me say that I think it should be a big success among YA readers. Peloquin delivers on the action and describes the conflict with the keen edge of an Indomitable's Blade in high definition. The story follows Issa, Aisha, Evren, and Kodyn to the city of the god of the dead. There's a lot going on in the story; it's all interesting.

***

On the opposite end of spectrum, I watched Outcast starring Nicolas Cage and Hayden Christensen.

Once again we see a story that begins with war weary soldiers discovering that their participation in the crusades has made them very good warriors but not very good people. Fast forward a few years to China where there is turmoil within the kingdom, horse riding, fighting, and a struggle to protect the child emperor from his murderous brother. Unfortunately, that's all a sideshow. The main theme of the film is a bitter and hard-fought contest between Cage and Christensen for the worst actor award. Hayden's character spends most of the time in some kind of mental fog. Cage counters that with a terrible accent and delivers the poorly written lines with the subtle finesse of a professional wrestler's ringside persona. Every other actor (and actress) in this show (including the horses) gave a better performance than the two stars. While the Asian actors took the project seriously, the two big names stumbled through the scenes with the grace of water buffalo on skates. As for the award for worst actor, it's just too close to call.

***

Finally, I present a draft of the description for the new novel, Threading The Rude Eye (Tomahawks and Dragon Fire Book 1):


When the dark commander captures Lucette, she must find a way to keep Cartier's map to the ancient cache of vast power from the dark commander and the British in order to save both America and France. The strange pair, Iago and Atu, may help her save the map but they can't save her from the commander and his ability to compel obedience.

Alex's life changes abruptly when the commander's pursuit of Cartier's map obliterates everything that he knows and loves. If Alex can overcome his repugnance for the American rebellion, he may learn to use the power that will allow him to defeat the destroyer of his dreams. Alex needs time that the commander has no intention of granting him in which to master the mysterious essence of the dragon stone.

Cat and her dragon hunters seek their prey with a commission from the king but even they don't know the true purpose of their task. They will discover that dragons are not nearly as difficult to find as they have been led to believe--and the beasts are much more difficult to defeat than they ever imagined.

Captain Charles Rip and his first mate Antonio have enjoyed great success as smugglers. When they agree to add some desperate passengers to their cargo, the profit or loss figures may be written in blood--their blood.

Alex, Lucette, Charles, Antonio, Cat and the dragon hunters will have to make decisions that will determine not only their fate and whether they can work together but they will also drastically shape the course of the rebellion among the American colonists. They will all receive a baptism of fire in Boston.


Naturally, I'm looking for some criticism of the description. Is it too long? Too boring? Confusing? Does it pique an interest?

No comments:

Post a Comment