Sunday, September 9, 2018


There's an undeniable satisfaction derived from pounding a screwdriver through an oil filter. Grasping that skewering tool's handle, applying the torque--that transference of will into action--and twisting the recalcitrant part to force the release of its tenacious hold upon the engine block brings an indisputable sense of gratification--until you realize that the removal of the nearly brand new filter was completely unnecessary.

That oil filter was the single most expensive part in the repair that I did Saturday on the lawn mower aka the Craftsman warmachine. It had a broken intake rod. I had discovered the broken rod when I had removed the valve cover and found things in a state of complete disarray--not to be confused with Desiree, who is complete and is also found in my state. The repairs included replacing the rod guide (which I had unwittingly (or half-wittedly) damaged in a previous repair, and which ultimately, I believe, was the cause of the broken rod) both the intake and exhaust push rods, a gasket, and last, but not least (and completely unnecessarily), the oil filter.

My dad taught me the trick for removing a stubborn oil filter. He did teach me that it wasn't the best option; but when it has to come off, and if it won't come off by hand, and you don't have a proper wrench for it, the skewering and torquing works every time.

When I had replaced the parts and reassembled the machine, it started immediately on the turn of the key. Victory was mine! O mechanical incompetence, where is thy sting? Best of all, I didn't lose a single drop of blood, neither cuticle, knuckle nor dermis spread itself upon the altar of small engine repair deities. The repair, reassembling, and the mowing spent the day.
***
More books reviewed:

Half a King, by Joe Abercrombie

General Thoughts: Joe Abercrombie writes very well. I enjoyed the book from the very beginning and never found myself disappointed in either the story or the writing style. The style doesn't call attention to itself. It's sparse on description and detail, giving sufficient information to set the scene in broad terms while allowing the reader's imagination to naturally establish the details and unspecified staging. The story itself maintains the reader's interest. The pacing never drags. Plot, pacing, and style are a delight.

Story in a nutshell: Boy who doesn't want to be king, finds himself thrust into the throne (or thrown into the throne) by the deaths of both his father and brother. He swears an oath of vengeance. After setting out to achieve revenge, he escapes treachery and attempted assassination only to become a galley slave. His oar mates and a couple others on the ship become his new family. His previous training to become a minister (of the advising rather than the preaching ilk) more than makes up for the lack of one hand. He must escape from slavery and return home to reclaim his kingdom. Naturally, he changes along the way, becoming confident and cunning.

Do I recommend it? Yes. I got this book on sale for $0.99. So far, it is the best book that I've read at that price this year. I rode this story like a spirited horse from beginning to end. The story never falters. I found some key character development rather sudden, but credible under the circumstances. The cast of supporting characters provides great texture if not extreme depth to the story. The book also included the first chapter of the next book in the series. That first chapter seemed too similar to the first chapter of this book. I probably won't read the next book, unless I find a similar deal on it. As for Half a King, I rate it: A Galloping Gallivant--enjoy the ride.


"Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!" by Richard P. Feynman


General Thoughts: I had no previous knowledge of Mr. Feynman, his work or his writings. This is a purely biographical work. He's a Nobel Prize winning scientist. He worked at Los Alamos on the atomic bomb project during WWII. I enjoyed the story which ranged from his early interest in repairing radios to his education, trips abroad, work on the atomic bomb, cracking safes, playing the bongos, learning how to attract women in bars, learning to draw, lecturing, and more. It was an interesting change of pace.

Story in a nutshell: A very smart and talented guy does lots of interesting things.

Do I recommend it? Yes. This book was a nice look into an interesting life. I would imagine that I would have many agreements and disagreements with the author on all kinds of subjects, but he doesn't invite me along to convince me of his point of view; he just lets me know what it is, and let's me see what an amazingly interesting life he has had. The book is light on the kind of thing that would make me want to put it down, including heaving scientific explanations. The science talk is kept simple. There was a spot or two where I failed to grasp the scientific aspect of the story, but it didn't matter; the story was still great. I acquired this book for free through Prime. I rate this book: A Semester Abroad -- enjoy learning things by looking at them through another's perspective.
***
Books in the reading queue: The Ragged Edge of Night by Olivia Hawker, Stiger's Tigers by Marc Alan Edelheit, Fatemarked by David Estes, and Heroes of Issalia by Jeffrey L. Kohanek are new on the list. Le Loup Blanc by Paul Feval is still in progress. I should also do a review of Ken Jorgenen's Treachery of The Daimyo too, and read the next two books in that series.

No comments:

Post a Comment