Sunday, March 4, 2018

Lurious but cazy...and Smoke news.

It wasn't installed by Dr. Daystrom, but I call it M-5...because it wants to kill me. 


I worked the machine vigorously for several minutes. When I paused, I realized that my legs had turned to jelly, or possibly marmelade--although I don't know what a "marmel" is, or why anyone should make a sweet drink from it. I was barely able to walk or stand; I hobbled and wobbled like a nonagenarian after a spin on the tilt-a-whirl.  Later, I thought that two of my sisters could have done that workout without getting a case of marmelegs (new word!) from the experience. The two of them are rabid avid bicyclists; they could have done the workout while singing the "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the voice of Freddy Mercury; they certainly have the moustaches for it. Of course, I'm kidding--I don't think they could do the singing part.

Something last week reminded me of "tabernacle talk," which I developed when I was a kid. I had discovered that the word "tackle" could be found in the word tabernacle...and an idea was born. It began with "rabernight tabernacle" and "laberneft tabernacle." Labernater, aberni fabernound thabernat aberni cabernould abernuse abernit fabernairly aberneasily--abernor wabernould abernit baberne "aberneasabernily?" I guess it depends on how complicated one wanted to make it. I don't think I ever shared it with anyone--except maybe a sister; so I didn't get much chance to use it.

And that made me wonder about other languages. I wondered if foreign languages had their equivalent of Igpay Atilay. In this age, to wonder is to Google. Yeah, verily, there were answers. I had heard of the French Verlan, and it reminds me of Archie Campbell telling how Rindercella slopped her dripper, even though the principle is not quite the same. 

But back to my point...those foreign languages do have such things...except they're way too complex for me to pursue. The storal of the mory is that being lurious but cazy can be very unsatisfying, but it ceats not being burious at all.

***

Smoke is nearly complete. I know I've been saying that for a few months, but this time I really mean it. It has only taken me about 20K words more than I had anticipated. The murders have been solved; the right mix of romance and hot lead have left indelible marks in several hearts; and a fair amount of fisticuffs and random literary references have helped blaze a trail to the truth. A little coda to wrap it up next week, and I'll be looking to have it proof read. I'm still trying to get the items that I need for the cover photo, and after that it will be available on Amazon for purchase. I may offer a number of pre-release pdfs for review if there is any interest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment