Sunday, February 4, 2018

Casting Call

Having been cast recently in the role of a dashing young man of half my age for a local play, my thoughts turned, like milk past its expiration date, to wondering who I would cast to play the characters in my books -- assuming of course that I wasn't available to play the protagonist myself.



(Some) Imaginary Casting for Justice in Season:

Victor McBride - He's the young protagonist. He's well-read, but hardened by his experiences in the war. I see him as something of a Tyrone Powers. A young Michael Landon would fit. I suppose Chris Pine would be a good modern actor for the part. For an interesting twist, a young Michael J. Fox, or Matthew Broderick might give the part a interesting flavor that I had not anticipated when I wrote the character.

Ted Vaughn - He is McBride's poetic best friend. He is Sam to McBride's Frodo...sort of. The Goose to McBride's Maverick...somewhat. I could see Chris Pratt playing this character who is both humorous and intuitive, but doesn't take himself too seriously. It's a great side-kick part, so there are many great character actors from which to choose. Would Johnny Depp bring too much Capt. Jack Sparrow to the role?

Carl Parker - He is McBride's business partner and friend. He doesn't speak much. He is the Athos to McBride's D'Artagnan. Maybe Karl Urban would have the presence this role requires.

Shorty - Mostly because every western has to have a character named Shorty. It's right in the rules of the Western Writer's Guild (and if such an organization doesn't exist, it should). He is impetuous and not entirely predictable, except that he will always see things through to the end. He's the Montgomery Scott to McBride's Kirk. A young Bruce Willis, or a young Val Kilmer would bring an interesting flavor to this role. If Johnny Galecki could play an intense cowboy who is good with the lariat and pistols, that would be a role that I would like to see just for kicks.

Clarence Fortune - He is a storyteller, and an able and willing hand with a gun or a hammer. He is more of a Danny Glover than a Denzel Washington.

Bill Longhurst - The calm voice of reason. He is older and well respected, even though he is only a ranch hand. Robert Duvall would fit this part.

Sheriff Upton - He is one of the villains that McBride must face. He is tall, dark and devious. Peter Weller might be my first choice to play the role, but there are some other great actors like Christopher Lee, Corbin Bernsen, and Billy Drago who would (or could've) been great in this part. If I wanted to give a bit of a surreal flavor to the story, Christopher Walken would do the trick.

Jack Butterfield - He is one of the saloon owners who figures prominently in the story. If I couldn't play McBride, I would play Butterfield.

Luther Griffith - The other saloon owner in the story. He also owns an important horse. There is only one man who could have played this part like I imagined it in my head when I wrote it: Keenan Wynn. His unavailability since 1986 being a problem, I can imagine Kurt Russell bringing the intensity this part requires.

Harmony Rivers - This beautiful red-head might be the most difficult part to cast. She's a real stunner who can sing. She can soften (and steal) the hardest heart. I picture her rather like Jill St. John in her glory days, but with a presence that I don't recall in the characters that St. John usually played. Christina Hendricks doesn't seem to fit. Rita Hayworth being unavailable, someone else will have to dye their hair for the role.

Emily Bastion - This lovely girl is much more demure than Harmony Rivers. Who could play this seemingly fragile but quite strong woman? Natalie Wood is out. Heather Lind might be right for the part. A young Alyssa Milano, Kate Beckinsale, or Terri Hatcher? Ashley Greene? I don't know. I thought this role would be easier to fill...I was wrong.


Besides the fact that I've left out at least one important role, there is another problem with this casting: Almost everyone I've chosen usually plays the lead. What a mess it could turn out to be if everyone thought that they were the star. On the other hand, don't we all play the starring role in our own story? I'm going with that. Everyone's a star; at least I am, regardless of the role; sometimes I'm in a supporting role, but those can be the most fun parts to play.



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE casting the books I write. Sometimes I even get story ideas just from tossing a few actors and actresses I like into a situation and seeing what happens. Like improv theater in my brain.

    For a beautiful redhead, what about Rebecca Ferguson?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea! I should try the What Would So-and-so Do In This Scene Approach from time to time.
      Part of the fun of writing is getting to play all the parts in my head as I write.

      Delete