Thursday, December 14, 2017

Bogey, Bacall, Books, and Basketball

A humorous observation occurred to me this afternoon. Thinking of it made me smile. I knew that I would have to include it with my post tonight.

I would...if I could remember it. Trust me. It was very funny. 

The other thing that made me laugh recently was watching To Have and Have Not when Lauren Bacall's character Slim says, "I'll don't think I'll ever be angry again at anything you say." I think the smile we see from Bogey's character Harry is genuine, not mere acting. Her mockery of the other pretty woman in the movie is very good. I laughed out loud.


I will have more to say about that very enjoyable movie at a later day. For now, I liked it. I was reminded not only of Casa Blanca, but also of The Maltese Falcon, and Beat the Devil.

Some corrections to Justice in Season have finally been posted to Amazon. There were a number of minor-but-annoying errors in the book, including one in the very first paragraph. What was the cause of such stupidity? How were egregious errors tolerated and posted in the original? I have a theory about that. A good friend did proof read the manuscript for me. I implemented the proof reading corrections indicated. Unfortunately, I had a couple copies of the manuscript on the computer. The copy that I had originally posted to Amazon was not the one that I had corrected. I believe that I deleted the corrected version right after I posted the Amazon version. I finally went back through the manuscript and corrected most, if not all of those errors.



You can get your copy of Justice in Season here: Justice in Season 

Here's an excerpt from the beginning of chapter XIV:

Upton’s gunshot boomed.

Both horses leaped forward. Fredericksburg, with McBride hanging on his side, bucked and leaped forward again. McBride held to the reins and front of the saddle. When the horse leaped the second time, McBride bounced himself up from the ground with his free leg, grabbed the saddle with his right hand and swung onto the back of the bay. Immediately the horse began swerving to the side. Fool’s Gold already led by two lengths. Quickly, McBride righted himself in the saddle, leaning forward. Fredericksburg straightened out and maintained Fool’s Gold lead at three lengths.

The James Blossom Store, specializing in boots, shoes, hats, clothing, dry goods, groceries, hardware, and mining equipment at low cash prices passed by quickly on McBride’s right as he left Main Street behind him. He could hear the spectators roaring and cursing. His attention remained fixed upon the actions of the locomotive between his knees; here was pure power and McBride could sense the horse’s strength and vigor from his toes right up to his teeth. ...

Text copyright © 2013 Stanley Wheeler
All Rights Reserved


The exciting sequel, Justice Resurgent, remains incomplete pending the completion of my humorous mystery novel, Smoke. The latter is nearly complete; it currently stands at over eighty-thousand words. I had anticipated completion at that number of words, but it looks like another three or four thousand will be required to bring this very fun story to its conclusion. It will be available in early 2018.

For a little light fantasy that both young and old can appreciate, try Finding Jack - Book One - The Orb



Finally, I watched a great basketball game on Tuesday night. It was the girls' JV game. Some may disagree, but I think the girls' games at this level are much more entertaining than the boys' games. The shooting is about 15-30% from the field. You never know what's going to happen next, or even where the ball is going...and the players don't seem to know either. It's pure fun: like roller skaters on ice, with unicorns, balloons, pandas, sloths, a swarm of wasps, and a self-aware ball all playing a different game in the same location.

The home team had fallen behind, but were gradually making up the deficit as the last two minutes bled from the clock. They finally tied it up, then fell behind by three. Finally, with about a second and a half left on the clock, the home team, down by three points, had the ball out of bounds at their own basket. After the timeout, they threw the ball in-bounds to a player who usually held the ball for 6-8 seconds before doing anything with it. This time, she turned and then quickly turned back to pass the ball to the girl who had just come in bounds. This girl, who I believe was the leading scorer, immediately shot from the corner outside of the three-point line as time expired. The shot, the only three-pointer attempted that night, arced high before coming down to pass through the basket. The game went to overtime. 

I wish I could say that the home team triumphed in the overtime... 

No comments:

Post a Comment